Help on where to stay for a short visit

M&Y

Help on where to stay for a short visit

Hi, My wife an I are coming to HK in the next few weeks to get to know HK before we possibly move out later this year. We want to view as much as possible for what life would be like living on the island, possibly in mide levels. The hotels near Central are twice the price of ones in Kowloon so we were thinking of staying at the Eaton in Kowloon and travelling on the MTR or Ferry across to the island when we want to go to central/Mid levels/stanley etc and maybe in the evening to eat in those areas. Is this a good idea or should we stay on the isalnd? does the MTR/subway run late into the night?

Thanks

Mark

Given everywhere you list is on HK Island, it may be easier to stay there.

However, public transport generally runs to just after midnight (MTR nearly 1am, buses similar, ferry not so sure but think 11pm) and Central or Wanchai to TST is fairly quick, cheap and easy.

Taxis are also readily available all night from these areas and comparatively cheap compared to many western countries.

Plenty to see and do off the island though as well. If looking for places to live there are plenty of options in the Islands and New Territories to see.

There are also a couple of mid-range hotels in HK island, like the Holiday Inn Express in Causeway Bay or the Ibis in North Point.

M&Y

Thanks
    Some of the hotels we looked at were around Causeway bay or wanchai but some previous comments were that they weren't really located in walking distance from any thing like places to eat so we thought it may be better to stay somewhere thats got a busy location and just use the MTR etc to get about.

Mark

The Eaton is a pretty nice mid-range hotel, but Yau Ma Tei is a world away from life on HK island, particularly in mid-levels. In mid-levels there's the Bishop Lei Hotel, the YWCA on Bonham Road and the 2 Macdonnell Road Hotel. I've never stayed at these places, but they should be a lot more affordable than your typical Central hotel. Have heard that the Bishop Lei rooms are super-tiny though. There are also several 3 star hotels in Wanchai, like the Wesley and the Charterhouse. There are loads of places to eat all over Wanchai and Causeway Bay...not sure where you heard comments to the contrary. In Happy Valley, there's the Emperor Hotel.

Last edited by c1000; 19-05-2007 at 04:22 PM.

You could look at a serviced apartment. Moveandstay.com has a good list. In Sheung Wan (close to central) the Ramada hotel does weekly rates and the Island Pacific hotel has some apartments too I think. Also the Bauhina Serivced apartment is supposed to be quite good. I haven't stayed at any of these personally just seen them recommended elsewhere so it may be worth a look. Yau Ma Tai and Mid Levels are worlds apart , staying in one when you plan to live in the other is not going to give you a good impression. Sheung Wan is quite local but is on the Island and very close to Central/Mid Levels/Soho - some parts are closer than others ie: the new Centre Stage Building on Hollywood Road is technically in Sheung Wan.

go to local travel agents in HK as they can get hotels cheaper. hope this helps.