alcohol

Closed Thread

alcohol

Could anybody enlighten me about taking alcohol to HK,
    when moving there in the first time. We have a very extensive supply of grog for mixing and others and we
    would like to take it with us by our moving company. I can not find anything on this matter.
    Has anybody encountered this dilemma?

Quote Originally Posted by msmelbourne:
    Could anybody enlighten me about taking alcohol to HK,
    when moving there in the first time. We have a very extensive supply of grog for mixing and others and we
    would like to take it with us by our moving company. I can not find anything on this matter.
    Has anybody encountered this dilemma?

Either your movers will kindly supply special packing boxes for it and "hide" it by marking the boxes "kitchenware" or they won't and you can ask for some boxes ahead and "hide" it yourself. I've never had any problems with this, same with food.

You're allowed to bring in alcohol to HK but if you declare it, you'll have to pay duty on it.
    Last edited by ontheroad; 19-05-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Thankyou very much but I would not dare to cheat. I read all about the penalties in HK!

I guess, by law, each person would only allow up to 1 Lt of alcohol no matter it is wine,or any kind of hard liq.

We had this prob too. My husband works for a drinks company so you can imagine how much we had gathered. We were unable to bring it- we could only bring 1 litre each in oir suitcases, the rest is being stored by our parents- hopefully!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad:
    Either your movers will kindly supply special packing boxes for it and "hide" it by marking the boxes "kitchenware" or they won't and you can ask for some boxes ahead and "hide" it yourself. I've never had any problems with this, same with food.

You're allowed to bring in alcohol to HK but if you declare it, you'll have to pay duty on it.
    Boxes marked "kitchenware", according to US Customs, is the most likely place to find contraband alcohol. No idea why so many people would choose the same label. I guess because alcohol is stored in/near the kitchen?
    I do not think there are any restrictions on incoming food. We brought a ton of it (but no alcohol). Like Patricia Brogan, our parents are storing it in our wine refridge and we are bringing it back a bottle at a time.

moving drinks

Thank you all very much for the replies, but it is not a problem any more, we are drinking every night now and gave the rest away. Such is life. I am sure we can buy all this stuff in HK too. Just have to pay more for it as it will not be duty free.