Like Tree3Likes

Hiring Help

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

hi my name is Marcus i am a aussie and i am wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction in regards to empoyment in kowloon or hong kong.i have been in the hospitality industry for 20 years running bars,clubs and pubs can someone help me? i am willing to relocate overseas if the right opportunity presents itself .i have my passport and am willing to depart at short notice

Last edited by marcus1; 04-08-2011 at 08:18 PM.

What skills have you got that can't be found amongst the population of HK Permanent Residents? If the answer is "none" then you won't be getting a visa.

Original Post Deleted
    You've clearly never struggled to get a visas for a staff member who was borderline then. I have. The person was paid over 30k per month and had skills we needed that we could not find in HK. However, had no degree and the job they did should have been easily fillable in HK, it was just that none of the locals here were good enough. We got one visa but could not get an extension so had to let the person go.

@PDLM

I have a diploma in Hospitality/Events ,20 years experience in clubs,pubs and bars also been in the security industry for 20 years run an entertainment company providing djs for private parties and functions,full 5 star a la carte experience,Cocktail experience, management both FOH/BOH .In saying all this i really am looking for a position running a bar or a club is that enough skill for you? Thankyou to all for for other feedback.

Guys, the title of the thread is Hiring Help - as in how to hire domestic help
    Marcus1, you're not exactly showing your language or English comprehension skills by adding your post to the bottom of a discussion about hiring a maid - twice!

Fiona in HKG and SiuMaiTaiTai like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You've clearly never struggled to get a visas for a staff member who was borderline then. I have. The person was paid over 30k per month and had skills we needed that we could not find in HK. However, had no degree and the job they did should have been easily fillable in HK, it was just that none of the locals here were good enough. We got one visa but could not get an extension so had to let the person go.
    I think we may have discussed this before, but if I understand what you wrote correctly I find this extraordinary. Are you saying that ImmD granted an Employment Visa for one year for a person to move to HK to do a specific job, and that at the end of that year when you applied for an extension for the same person to continue doing the same job for the same money that the extension was refused? If that had happened to me I think I'd have gone for an appeal and, if necessary, a judicial review.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I think we may have discussed this before, but if I understand what you wrote correctly I find this extraordinary. Are you saying that ImmD granted an Employment Visa for one year for a person to move to HK to do a specific job, and that at the end of that year when you applied for an extension for the same person to continue doing the same job for the same money that the extension was refused? If that had happened to me I think I'd have gone for an appeal and, if necessary, a judicial review.
    The staff member in particular had health issues with HK. Not getting the visa renewed was the final straw that convinced them they needed to return to NZ - so no point fighting it.

@satay sue could you steer me to the correct forum then

Head back up the cookie trail at the top of the page and go to "Hong Kong Forums". In the lower part of the third section down you'll find the "Working in HK" board.

Fiona in HKG likes this.