Like Tree3Likes

Hiring Help

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hiring Help

Hi, my husband's company have asked him to take up a role in HK which he has tentatively accepted. If it all goes ahead, he will probably be moving there at the end of August and we (myself and 2 young children) will be joining him early next year. We would like to hire domestic help on at least a part-time basis but have no idea how it all works in HK. We were thinking of a 4K salary if he/she works part-time (5 days a week in the mornings and then 2 evenings on the weekend - no live in) or 6-8k for fulltime (5 days a week 8am-6pm + 2 evenings on weekend + Sunday off + 3 weeks paid annual leave + live in). We wouldn't feel comfortable letting a fulltime maid live in one of those tiny broomcloset amah's quarters so would be giving her/him their own room. Considering this, are either of these salaries too low or pretty much on par ? How do the contracts work? Are there official forms or are we expected to draw up our own contracts? How can we attract the best candidates and any tips on who, in your experience or of those you know, have been the best type of candidates (eg nationality etc)? Cheers ..

what my next door neighbour does is he hires a full time maid, gives her living/food allowance so she can live nearby with other maids, she turns up in the morning and leaves at night. you can try this way as well if you dont want her living in the small room. regardless how much more you pay her, she will say it up and share a small room with other maids if she lives somewhere else.

Salary-wise and holidays, you are quite generous compared to most people here (nothing wrong with that!), you would be paying above full-time minimum wage for the part-time!
    You will have to complete a contract, an official version is available from immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    what my next door neighbour does is he hires a full time maid, gives her living/food allowance so she can live nearby with other maids, she turns up in the morning and leaves at night. you can try this way as well if you dont want her living in the small room. regardless how much more you pay her, she will say it up and share a small room with other maids if she lives somewhere else.
    Note that if she is a foreign helper this would be illegal (but I know some do it)

You have two basic choices here - a full time live-in Foreign Domestic Helper, or a part-time, live out, local (most likely Chinese and non-english speaking unless you are VERY lucky). The "middle ground" (sharing an FDH with someone else) is illegal.

The minimum wage is set by law - you can pay more and many people do. If you get a recommendation for a great helper it may be worth it. Remember to factor in other costs, such as flights home to the Philippines (or Indonesia etc) and remember you have to supply the food etc for a live-in.

However, for the wages you are offering, you might be able to attract a local on a dependent visa or such like who speaks English and is willing to work for you - but they are rare.

I just thought I'd clarify that the wages mentioned would be on a per month basis, not per week. Just in case that caused some confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by mimi76:
    I just thought I'd clarify that the wages mentioned would be on a per month basis, not per week. Just in case that caused some confusion.
    Yes - still very generous compared to most

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. We've decided that for at least the first couple of months, my mother in law will hopefully join us. She has had a lot of experience hiring help whereas I have practically none (just the odd cleaner and not on a regular basis). The kids also love her very much (as do I) and that will help them settle in. I didn't know that hiring live-out help was illegal so I am probably looking at hiring a local just to be on the safe side.. I've also heard that they are generally more honest than help from two other countries although, of course, each person is different so maybe I shouldn't generalise too much. I've been taking some Cantonese lessons so will hopefully be able to make simple conversation with them Thanks again....

Here's a start http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/...uitLocalDH.pdf
    Partime helpers can only work 19 hours a week.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    Here's a start http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/...uitLocalDH.pdf
    Partime helpers can only work 19 hours a week.
    I think that should be more than enough hours if we go part-time. We are not going to take much and am sure the apartment will much smaller than we are used to? Does this rule also apply to locals?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast