Like Tree3Likes

How do you cope with the humidity of a HK summer?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Question How do you cope with the humidity of a HK summer?

I have my job offer now so I'm hoping/expecting to move to HK in late August once my work visa is through. Not the best time weather-wise to be moving to HK! So, the big question...how on earth do you cope with the humidity?? Especially in work clothes?? Any tips please? Do you just get used to it or is it normal to see expats dripping sweat??

I live in Paris at the moment and by French standards, the last few week or so has been pretty humid (nowhere near HK standards I know!)....I only have a 15 min walk to work and by the time I get there, I'm pretty sticky....my colleagues all say the same. If I'm like this in Paris, how on earth will I manage in HK?!!! It really worries me. I need to look smart for work and that's hard to do with sweat trickling down your face

Waterproof Sunblock on your forehead.
    Wear a climacool vest to stop the sweat on your back from soaking your shirt.

And carry a small face cloth to mop up any excess sweat.

Or get a taxi everywhere!

Where do you buy climacool vests?

You can get them from gigasports and marathon sports.

its normal to see expats and locals dripping in sweat and having sweat patches on their clothes.

My advice is to wear white or black clothes so the sweat patches dont show so much (or a suit jacket to hide it)

Dont panic as soon as you start sweating because the additional stress just makes you sweat even more.

Stay in shopping malls or have a quick browse in a shop with air conditioning every 100 metres or so.

and pack a spare deoderant in your bag...

many people here carry a small towel or handkerchief to mop sweat. people walk slower. find a route to work thru a mall. catch a bus to your door (or a taxi). often unnecessary to walk far at all! Or just ignore it (as I do).

european likes this.

As long as you are inside, you'll be fine. The air cons in many offices, malls, buses, taxis are often set to freeze so many people need a jacket so they don't get cold. My advice is to always have a change of clothes in the office, you will sweat buckets, possibly like you never have before so you have to accept that. On top of it, it's the rainy season and there will be heavy rainstorms so if the humidity doesn't get you, the rain will.

I almost never wore my work clothes to work when I still did the day to day grind and changed once I got there, I was lucky enough to also have access to a shower but that's not usual though some people I know choose a gym close to work to get the added bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    its normal to see expats and locals dripping in sweat and having sweat patches on their clothes.
    normal yes but looks freaking disgusting. Especially when they're handling food produce whilst dripping in sweat.

Just bottle the stuff and turn it into a sexy sports drink

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast