ABC Expat in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ABC Expat in HK

Hello, I am an American-born Chinese moving to HK in a few months, having just married my gf who is a perm HK res. I've been there for several visits recently, and I think in some ways it may be more challenging for me to assimilate than for non-Asian expats, because when locals look at me, they expect me to be able to speak Cantonese and to know the local customs, which is far from the truth (tho I can understand basic Canto)... I was wondering if there were any others like me (or other non-Cantonese-speaking Asian expats) and what their experiences have been, such as in the workplace, etc. Thanks!

(I guess there are some pluses too... I can go to jook places and other dives w/o standing out, as long as I keep my mouth shut) :P

Last edited by stanyee; 26-08-2004 at 05:00 AM.

Hi Stanyee...

I guess I can give my thoughts on this topic of discussion...since I am a chinese who grew up overseas with some British blood in me also.

Hm...the HK people always look at me and expect me to know Cantonese...but the truth is...I think in English...every work that comes out of my mouth is always English...though I have learnt to include a few Cantonese words in my english sentences...

and u might ask how do the locals respond? ...They think I am a show-off, and pretending to not know Cantonese...thinking I feel that I am superior than others coz' I can speak English...this may sound dumb...but it's true...at least for me this has happened so far...

but not all locals are like this...some are pretty nice...and want to learn English from me...while they teach me Cantonese...

Good luck in HK!

Speaking as a chinese with Canadian blood, I think that you'll find the whole assimilation process will take time, and it may be a never-ending process. In the meantime you'll learn to adjust quickly - for me the biggest challenge was improving the vocabulary and colloquial (sp?) slang that may thow you off at first, and if you can master actually reading a few essential words from the menu, say, you'll be all set! Strngely enough, despite the whole "world city" think, I find at times that most local folks are still thrown off by the likes of you and I, but it depends as well what part of town you are in too. Sitting in a restaurnt in Kennedy Town, reading the SCMP, the waitress remarked, in a friendly tone, how <sai lai> it was to be reading a completely english paper (!). But that doesn't happen very often, mind you. For the most part ppl are nice and will have a laugh at your expense given your bound-to-be-funny accent, and you will have a limited choice of English songs to choose from during those Karoake nights out :-)

Thx fiana + fly!

Karaoke, yuck... Is it true that it is practically a mandatory social responsibility to go to those when invited by coworkers? :P

Hm...well if your coworkers ask u to go out and have fun with them....and u say no ....then it seems like u dont want to join their group...they might think u dont like them....so advice is go out and have fun..who knows..maybe u will meet some good friends in HK...

Ya..everybody has a good laugh when they hear me speak Chinese..coz of my accent...and when I say something in Chinese that doesn't make much sense at all..haha (o^-^o)

Hi, I try to explain. Just think that you’re in UK or US and see a person look like American or European. You may expect he speaks English, French or German. But he tells u that his parents can, but he only speak Putonghua, Cantonese or Shanghai. The feeling you have now is the same that others feeling on you.

HK people are fair, you just have to say sth in Chinese, especially the first time you meet a new HK friend, and let them hear/feel your tones, they’ll understand and won’t expect you to speak Chinese. But they might expect you to practice oftenly.

Question

i wonder what are the most difficulty for
    Chinese living in HK not knowing how to
    speak and read Chinese/Cantonese ?

Can survive ?

Yeah, there is a novelty to it, it goes both ways.

Sometimes in the movies or whatever they will have the token white or Japanese person speaking fractured (and sometimes quite good!) Canto, it's amazing for like.... 5 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Xin:
    Hi, I try to explain. Just think that you’re in UK or US and see a person look like American or European. You may expect he speaks English, French or German. But he tells u that his parents can, but he only speak Putonghua, Cantonese or Shanghai. The feeling you have now is the same that others feeling on you.

HK people are fair, you just have to say sth in Chinese, especially the first time you meet a new HK friend, and let them hear/feel your tones, they’ll understand and won’t expect you to speak Chinese. But they might expect you to practice oftenly.

Of course you can survive, but I always think you would be missing out on a big part of it if you can't speak/read/write the local language, whereever you are.

Specifically for myself in HK, I'd love to be able to flip through the many magazines I see on the stand, but too bad, I can only look at the pictures and pick out the odd english here and there. Which is basically my own fault for not putting in the time and effort to learn how to read, mind you, I certainly wouldn't expect to see the same range of English material as back home, simply because the market can't sustain it here.

Anyways, since you asked, practically speaking the most difficult thing for me is going into a local restaurant and ordering from the chinese only menu. It's better of course if they have pictures, or if you can order verbally, or if you are with colleagues or friends that can help you out, otherwise it's hit and miss. Good think HK has so many restaurants variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan:
    i wonder what are the most difficulty for
    Chinese living in HK not knowing how to
    speak and read Chinese/Cantonese ?

Can survive ?

I know, I was the same way, but like fiana says, it's only natural that folks may get the wrong msg if you turn them down once, twice,...

Try it out and you may have fun, it's just social, and you can learn some good drinking games to keep you occupied if your mike is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by stanyee:
    Thx fiana + fly!

Karaoke, yuck... Is it true that it is practically a mandatory social responsibility to go to those when invited by coworkers? :P

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast