Grocery Expense USA vs. HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

good for you for thinking it all through. the first time we moved overseas, we just jumped in and were unpleasantly surprised at every turn! oh well, it didn't kill us.

i'm from texas originally and i suspect the only place with cheaper groceries than texas is arkansas! you are lucky. but i'm sure you're looking at the whole picture, which includes hard cost figures such as housing, electronic items/clothing, transport costs, schooling as well as things which may be a bit harder to put a dollar value on but certainly do have monetary impact such as career potential, tax risk/reward, job satisfaction, lifestyle (like having live-in affordable help). for many people, i suspect when these later items are considered, costs such as groceries are far outweighed by the gains. so we put up with the expensive milk because we're getting so much more out of the deal. i hope you find the same. good luck.

Last edited by tex; 02-09-2004 at 03:04 PM.

Guys this comparison isn't really correct...u are comparing western products sold in a western country to western products sold in an eastern country....
    It is totally incorrect. As an example I'm french...of course french prodcuts are more expensive in HK than in FRANCE..but this is NORMAL...(tehy need to import....)

If you come here, forget ur US food....just eat the good cantonese, japanese, vietnamese, indian food..it will be far cheaper ...and better....believe me....2 years I'm here and I can't stop eating this food...

I would argue Indian food is more expensive here... atleast a visit to a resturant seems to cost more per head.

It's totally dependent on the restaurant - as in most big cities you can eat for US$5 per head or US$500 per head. US$5 gets you a good fill of Indian food around Chungking Mansions.