Hong Kong advise needed Part 1 !

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hmmm, don't think I'm any more harsh than most. Consider that you can probably use one hand to pick up the complete Ivar shelf (fully constructed, with the crossbar and all the shelves in place); it would be quite a different story to try the same with another solidly-built bookshelf constructed with more dense materials (be it oak, teak, s/steel, etc.). Sure, both can be knocked over if one sets their mind to it, but the chances of it happening to one piece over another is quite large.

If you're looking for furniture that is easy to pack/unpack, then flatpack is the way to go.

BOYS, BOYS, Please stop this about IKEA !!

FYI my company makes for IKEA and out showrooms are being outfitted with " IKEA " tables and chairs. If you like the style of any company then that just shows we are individuals ( Thank Heavens ). For me personally although we make it but I dont want it in my house because its too 60s for me . I.e. Bendy and beige with a style that is very " now " and not tomorrow. But hey I'm making money out of it because my taste is not universal.

Thanks all for the info on finding stuff and I will try out a quote from PCCW.

But Guys - its only wood cut into shapes !!

Regards
    Boris

He he, yes it does go to show how much we value our choice of furnishings! Everyone still friends, right??

Always !!
    Boris

hey guys, i've been to wanchai a couple of times and didn't spot the modern furniture shops you were talking about. mind telling me where they are? are the curtain shops around there too? cuz i need them also.

also, anyone know a good area/shop to buy sofa sectionals with removeable slipcovers (besides Ikea!)?

thanks.

The place for curtains, soft furnishings and some furniture (mixture of styles) on the Island is Queen's Road East, between the Hopewell Centre and Pacific Place.

Quote Originally Posted by tex:
    hey guys, i've been to wanchai a couple of times and didn't spot the modern furniture shops you were talking about. mind telling me where they are? are the curtain shops around there too? cuz i need them also.

also, anyone know a good area/shop to buy sofa sectionals with removeable slipcovers (besides Ikea!)?

thanks.
    Tex,
    Try the sidestreets around where Berryplucker has mentioned, there's shops selling modern italian (Kartell, Edra, etc.) as well as retro/vintage modern design (Eames, etc) Similar shops in Central (Minotti, etc.) too, but bear in mind, prices are higher than for the Ikea-type versions.

If you are interested in this, I can try to arrange a discount for you as I've previously been on this route myself. Just drop me a pm if interested.

>> buy sofa sectionals with removeable slipcovers

Get them from one of the Shenzhen tailors across the border. You have the same selection of fabrics and designs at about 1/3 or 1/2 the cost. They give you detailed measurement diagrams and deliver to your place in HK.

We've got most of our stuff stitched there.

Curtains can made in Shenzen and so can slipcovers but you'll need to get the sofas from here.

Rani

The store we went was on the 3rd floor 3312 next to the BBC rest. They've recently moved to the 4/F and there is a sign posted at 3312 with the new shop #. The curtains cost around $200-300 each.

Rani