Like Tree8Likes

Not foreign enough to be a foreign tourist and yet not local enough to be a local...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Local but not really local...

From this OpenRice.com review of Shakey's Pizza Restaurant:

Had my first ever meal in the Far Dark Side with my boyfriend last week. Restaurants in the New Territories are supposed to be like, dirty and shxt, right But Shakey’s was actually clean (yay!). Maybe cos it’s American Like my boyfriend : ) The food was not bad, but it was like, hm...unauthentic Inauthentic Ingenuous Know what I mean Like it was adjusted for local tastes As in local local By the way, I’m Chinese (my boyfriend’s whtie: )), but I’m not really local, cos I spent two years in Arkansas. Plus I live in the mid-levels and I NEVER go to Mongkok.
    Conclusion: If you have spent two years in Arkansas, and live in the Mid-Levels and never (ever) go to Mongkok, you're not local. Deal with it.

P.S. - Before anyone asks, no I wasn't looking up reviews of Shakey's Pizza. Brooklynexpat directed me to the site. He says their pizza is not authentic, NY-style unlike Paisano's.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 01-02-2012 at 04:04 PM.

go to Lamma Island and chill at this coffee shop called "book worm".....but don't go there at the weekends.

I think I try to avoid going to Momgkok and places like that, as it's just to crowded! But then, after being back to HK for 6 years now, I really try to adjust to this culture more and sure plus, I start meeting some local friends and sometimes they go places like....Mongkok!

But DN, when you do live abroad in a city/country very different than where you come from, you do undergo change, change in personality, attitude, point of view, the way you look at things etc, same with the kind of company you keep. Your attitude/thinking etc differs if you hang out only with ppl from different country(ies) as against if you hang out with people from your country/city/town/neighbourhood. I know that first hand so I agree when she claims that as she's lived in USA, she's changed and not exactly same as someone who's never left her town.

Last edited by gunsnroses; 02-02-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Good point Guns. I seriously do get mild culture shock when I go back to the UK - but I don't go often, about every couple of YEARS and now I've not been back to the UK for 3 years. Not helped by the fact that I've lived in Tokyo, Singapore and Hong Kong so I've been spoilt by reliable, clean public transport and definitely ruined by 14 years of fantastic customer service in Japan!

DN - that profile is so typical HK girl wannabe. Hangs around LKF looking for white boyfriend to then show off to local friends. Probably very clingy type whose boyfriend will eventually leave her for a younger local girl. Went to the US and probably did nothing but hang out with other HK transplants. Now thinks she is better than all her friends who secretly hate her. Most likely has a membership at the Pure Fitness by the escalator where she goes to work her booty because she knows her boyfriend has wandering eyes if she loses her shape.

jimbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    DN - that profile is so typical HK girl wannabe. Hangs around LKF looking for white boyfriend to then show off to local friends. Probably very clingy type whose boyfriend will eventually leave her for a younger local girl. Went to the US and probably did nothing but hang out with other HK transplants. Now thinks she is better than all her friends who secretly hate her. Most likely has a membership at the Pure Fitness by the escalator where she goes to work her booty because she knows her boyfriend has wandering eyes if she loses her shape.
    Bitter and twisted much?

Edit: Having said that, DN's girl quote does sound like it came from a stuck-up airhead though!
    Last edited by Satay Sue; 02-02-2012 at 11:29 AM.

there is always thought of differentiation between the local crowd and some people.

this happens with overseas chinese or chinese who have studied/lived overseas at some time of their lives , some will assimulate with the local population, so go halfway, some will specifically differentiate themselves in order to have no similarities with the local population.

to a certain extent, on the long term, this may happen with expats or non native /non chinese ethnicity minority.

on the other end, like in uk, certain ethnic minority who have very closed communities ( with no assimulation) can have severe or extreme social disadvantages

SS - bitter? a little, twisted? definitely.
    Was thinking of the little tart that hangs around the trading floor looking to bag a boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    SS - bitter? a little, twisted? definitely.
    Was thinking of the little tart that hangs around the trading floor looking to bag a boyfriend.
    Totally agree with this and your earlier comment.
    Money grabbing local women Grrr