Like Tree2Likes

Auto Tech

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MinhVu1

Auto Tech

Hi guys I know I said I want to do security but its getting so expensive to finish my schooling it cost 5k for it. I am thinking of going to school for auto mechanic. I love cars, i know how to fix some things but i can make a living out of it and be happy as well. I can also maybe open my own garage in HK. I will still be my own boss, have my own company, and be happy in what I am doing . How is the auto world in HK?

If you cant afford to finish your schooling in USA, you probably wont be able to afford to open your own garage in HK especially as rent is very expensive. And no, you wont be able to obtain a working visa to be a mechanic in HK.

MinhVu1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    If you cant afford to finish your schooling in USA, you probably wont be able to afford to open your own garage in HK especially as rent is very expensive. And no, you wont be able to obtain a working visa to be a mechanic in HK.
    thank you i was just thinking about it not really going through it im going to finish my schooling with loan or go to another school and get certified in business security since my major is security management.thanks for the info.

MinhVu1

so i cant get a work visa as a mechanic? why is that?

MinhVu1

im not going to right away start my own garage like work in one work my way up gain some exp and then branch out.

Quote Originally Posted by MinhVu1:
    so i cant get a work visa as a mechanic? why is that?
    Because to be eligible for a work visa you need to have skills that are not available in the local workforce. Mechanics here (I use the term loosely as "real" mechanics are rare, most nowadays are just fitters) earn very little and work in conditions that need to be seen to be believed. There are a few good garages around and there are plenty of mechanics in the workforce as well.
    hello_there likes this.

I am awaiting MinhVu1 to start a new thread about being a taxi driver in HK and applying for visa.

"so i cant get a work visa as a mechanic? why is that?"

OP: Before wasting more of your time and ours pursuing employment ideas in HK that clearly will not land you a work visa, you may want to familiarize yourself with the requirements for an employment visa in Hong Kong - in short the job you take up cannot be something that can be filled by any local talent, are typically "professional" positions and you typically need a university degree or greater - think things like lawyer, engineer, accountant, investment banker, certain industry consultants (these positions will require a degree and experience in the relevant field) and other professional positions, English teacher (with appropriate teaching credentials, a university degree and relevant experience), etc. Basically, if the job involves manual labor or does not require a four year university degree at a minimum your chances of obtaining an employment visa are very, very low.

Here is an exerpt from the Immigration web site regarding eligibility for an employment visa:
    III.
    General Employment Policy (GEP)

Eligibility Criteria
    20. Applicants who are not non-local graduates but possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in the HKSAR may apply to come to work under the GEP.

21. An application for a visa/ entry permit to take up employment under the GEP may be favourably considered if:

(a) there is no security objection and no known record of serious crime in respect of the applicant;
    (b) the applicant has a good education background, normally a first degree in the relevant field, but in special circumstances, good technical qualifications, proven professional abilities and/or relevant experience and achievements supported by documentary evidence may also be accepted;
    (c) there is a genuine job vacancy;
    (d) the applicant has a confirmed offer of employment and is employed in a job relevant to his academic qualifications or working experience that cannot be readily taken up by the local work force; and
    (e) the remuneration package including income, accommodation, medical and other fringe benefits is broadly commensurate with the prevailing market level for professionals in the HKSAR.

The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department
    WMDS likes this.

MinhVu1, your best bet is to run for chief executive and then apply for a working visa.

MinhVu1

LOL you guys are funny thanks for the advice im still going to do me and push hard i will make it there or to there one day

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast