TEFL Questions

Closed Thread

TEFL Questions

I have posted my situation on this forum before, but heres a quick recap. I am a caucasian moving from the US to HK in late September. I just graduated from uni with an IS degree and am looking for a job. I realize that finding a business job may be difficult and may take a while, so I need an income in the mean time. I intend to teach English in the interim. I have a limited amount of teaching experience, but am thinking of getting a TEFL certificate of some kind. My question is now... what kind of certificate should I go for? I would rather do an online course because they are cheaper and faster, but I am not sure if it will be taken seriously or not. Could someone tell me if an HK employer will care if I have a Cambridge TEFL cert vs. a cheapo online one? Will the color of my skin hold more weight for them?

A Cambridge TEFL certificate will be useful. If you come from the US, you will have to learn to spell the way most of the other English speaking countries do (the British way) and make yourself aware of some of the vocabulary and convention differences so that your school-age students don't get marked down more than they should do in their exams for poor spelling.