Cheap calls to Australia mobile?

Cheap calls to Australia mobile?

Hi guys,

I make a tonnes of calls back home to Oz and all my mates are on mobiles! Its costing a fortune I"m currently with SmartTone and it costs about $3.00 HK a minute on peak (i.e. between 9am and 9pm HK time) and $1.20 off peak....

Anyone got any other deal which is cheaper? Thx.

i tot you can't do much ? callig a mobile into aussie is killing. i suspect even if you use skype and other voips, the last leg into the recipient mobile is going to cost u a fortune.

PCCW's 0060 is HKD1.48 for landline to Oz mobiles.

I call my US friends on their cellphones using VOIP all the time, and it barely costs me a few cents a minute. Might be different for Australia but you could check the rates...

Last edited by amberash; 18-07-2007 at 12:48 AM.

It's very different for Australia - in the US the mobile party pays to receive a call. In Australia (and most other markets) the calling party pays to make a call to a mobile.

maybe u can try to use the prepaid card provided by PEOPLES, i am not sure how much does it cost for calling to Oz mobile, but u can try to ask those staff in PEOPLES and tell them to introduce the $98 prepaid card plan to ya~

did anyone find a good solution to this?

skype is no better than anyone else from what I can see and it costs a fortune to phone aussie mobiles!

There is no good solution - the Australian mobile operators charge a lot of money for calls terminating on their network (as do UK and most other mobile networks except US/Canada/Singapore/China). Rates tend to be around HK$1.60-HK$3 per minute. IDT1529 is $1.68 with per second billing (0060, 0080 and others all bill in one minute increments, so a 10 second call that hits voicemail gets billed as a minute).

Why would I want to mess around with phonecards and put up with VOIP quality when I can get a real phone service for substantially less money?

He's referring to IDT1529. They are just about the same price as voip - I use them too.