Bringing fixed phone equipment Oz-HK

Closed Thread

Bringing fixed phone equipment Oz-HK

Hi,

Can I bring my Australian fixed line phone equipment (base station and 3 cordless handsets) to Hong Kong - will they work?

I asked the manufacturer and they said Oz equipment is manufactured for the Oz standards and they can't say if it will work, and that it is illegal to use Oz equipment in other countries (seems baffling to me).

I have brought a phone from Singapore to Oz before and it worked fine. Has anyone had problems with Oz phone equipment not working in HK?

Thanks
    Jen

It will almost certainly work as a basic phone. But it will probably not be legal unless the device has HK wireless certification (depending on the frequency range it uses). And features like Calling Line ID display may not work.

All equipment connected to the HK telephone network must be certified individually or by class. All equipment sold here will have a round green sticker with the letters OFTA. But true your stuff will work here.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll investigate how much phones are in HK! I'd hate to blow up the network!

I just sold my Oz phone on ebay and bought one here in HK.

It might work, although you'll need an adapter for the power supply for a start... I have a million power supply adapters around the house for our Oz things!

Quote Originally Posted by BEL:
    you'll need an adapter for the power supply for a start
    Really? I thought the voltage was the same? Or do you just mean a plug adapter?

Yeah I just mean the plug adaptor. Voltage is the same but the plug that goes into the wall is like the UK.