ebay in English

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ebay in English

Hi there,
    I'll be moving to HK in December.

I just noticed that ebay.com.hk is in Chinese only. (The English version is apparently "Under construction", which beggars belief)
    What alternative auction/classifieds websites are they losing their business to?

Thanks much

HK netizens have always preferred auctions.yahoo.co.hk over ebay. However that doesn't help you as Yahoo auctions are also in Chinese. Then there's .

english supported online auction sites in Asia are few and have little traffic

Thanks. So what do non-Chinese-readers do normally? Guess/learn what the various buttons say and get on with it? I see a number of items with English-only descriptions...

I am willing to learn, just wondering what other people generally do.

MinhVu1

just put in ebay dot com and it works i just tried it it works

Quote Originally Posted by pizza:
    Thanks. So what do non-Chinese-readers do normally? Guess/learn what the various buttons say and get on with it? I see a number of items with English-only descriptions...

I am willing to learn, just wondering what other people generally do.

If you use Chrome or Firefox, there are translation plugins that will *try* to translate the Chinese.

disclaimer, it's not 100% accurate so consult with someone who can read before buying

Anyone use taobao? Heard great stuff but can't read it sadly aside from translating the whole thing

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by MinhVu1:
    just put in ebay dot com and it works i just tried it it works
    This would be an easy win, and it does look like the same products are listed in both sites at the same price.
    However, as I try to register and select Hong Kong as the country of residence, I am unceremoniously sent to the ebay.com.hk registration page - in Chinese.
    Am I doing it wrong?
    Also, will I incur US delivery charges even for HK goods that are stocked next door? Has anyone actually tried to do this?

Thanks!

MinhVu1

yes you will incur us delivery charges I ordered a textbook when i was in vietnam for vacation, I paid 150 usd dollars shipping

Depends on the company, for some reason, a LOT of the companies based in HK & some in China won't ship to HK, they just tell me no and offer no explanation.

My advice is to avoid ebay.com as you will get raped on international shipping charges.

if you cannot figure out ebay.com.hk, auctions.yahoo.com.hk or taobao.com, you could always try www.shopinhk.com which has ties to this forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast