Currency Exchange

Closed Thread

Currency Exchange

Where is the best place in Hong Kong to exchange RMB to HKD? I want a good rate that the banks cant offer

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL:
    Where is the best place in Hong Kong to exchange RMB to HKD? I want a good rate that the banks cant offer
    In Chungking Mansion they give up to 103.50 as what I have seen.

HSBC will currently buy notes at 103.1 so that's not a great improvement.

Chung King Mansion I agree ... friendly and great rates...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    HSBC will currently buy notes at 103.1 so that's not a great improvement.
    HSBC offers good exchange rates only for HKD-RMB conversion or for all other currency eg INR.

There's something specific to the RMB - it's the only currency where they actually offer a better rate for notes than they do for telegraphic transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    There's something specific to the RMB - it's the only currency where they actually offer a better rate for notes than they do for telegraphic transfers.
    They once told me that they keep a record of my ID with the notes and will get back to me in case there are fakes that they don't recognize on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    They once told me that they keep a record of my ID with the notes and will get back to me in case there are fakes that they don't recognize on the spot.
    but how do they prove that these fakes one are actually given by you. they havent changed themself ..

Quote Originally Posted by funnie:
    but how do they prove that these fakes one are actually given by you. they havent changed themself ..
    They keep record of the serials. But I prefer to change in a place where the deal is done when it is done.
    By the way, I heard that sometimes even ATMs in China have fakes. So there is a potential danger.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 01-08-2007 at 12:17 PM.