View Poll Results: Your total relocation package was worth approximately how much?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pretty much nothing

31 20.95%
  • The cost of an economy flight

17 11.49%
  • About USD5,000

24 16.22%
  • About USD10,000

14 9.46%
  • About USD15,000

18 12.16%
  • About USD25,000

11 7.43%
  • More than USD25,000

23 15.54%
  • No idea/didn't relocate/don't want to say

10 6.76%
Like Tree52Likes

How much was your relocation package?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I expect they get paid more than your secretary. As a consultancy, having staff around is important.
    I certainly hope so for them.

That being said 12 days remains low, especially if you are expat and have to go back home once a year to visit family. It leaves you with very little.

I have same as back home, 30 days.

Regarding holidays I feel very privileged here in HK. I would almost say our HR department back home made a mistake giving us the equal amount of holidays as home, since HK has about 10 more public holidays per year.

But I'm more happy about my number of holidays than I would have been of a salary rise. I might be here only for a few years and want to be able to travel and experience the region. And then also be able to go home at least once a year to visit friends and family.

This is what I dread most moving over to a local contract.

relocation cost me one 1994 ford thunderbird, and i barely made it.

The compensation in the morning's pretty much the same as in the afternoon in my experience.

Mat and Fiona in HKG like this.

Compensation as in cash or including temporary housing, container, etc?

I

Last edited by sunzixiao; 31-10-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    bargfeldstegen likes this.

I have the feeling the relocation packages are getting smaller and smaller. I am not sure if most companies does not consider Hong Kong as exotic any longer?

Quote Originally Posted by christine_80:
    I have the feeling the relocation packages are getting smaller and smaller. I am not sure if most companies does not consider Hong Kong as exotic any longer?
    Most companies have been squeezing costs, and pay generally. The finance sector, which was a large part of the expat job market over the past 20 years, has been under structural stress since 2008. It's been cutting staff and wages as profit opportunities are under pressure globally.

I don't think companies are thinking about exotic vs normal, I think they're cost cutting in general. A small handful of very senior staff arriving for key posts can still get decent packages, but outside of that it's pretty much take it or leave it, these are the conditions, we'll go for someone younger or cheaper if you don't like them.
    shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9