View Poll Results: Your total relocation package was worth approximately how much?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pretty much nothing

31 20.95%
  • The cost of an economy flight

17 11.49%
  • About USD5,000

24 16.22%
  • About USD10,000

14 9.46%
  • About USD15,000

18 12.16%
  • About USD25,000

11 7.43%
  • More than USD25,000

23 15.54%
  • No idea/didn't relocate/don't want to say

10 6.76%
Like Tree52Likes

How much was your relocation package?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The cost of my relocation was about NEGATIVE 10kUSD!

blackwings and Satay Sue like this.

About 10k USD

a) Everyone would get one, but not the same..
    b) yes
    c) probably not
    d) yes because this would mean the company needs the person they've contacted more than the one who has initiated contact (more often than not)

Multi national, but not as large as a bank. Around 5000 employees Worldwide.

MovingIn07 likes this.

My previous firm refused to transfer me to the HK office even after I agreed to work an additional month's notice and near-on killed myself pulling 20 hour days for those last months. They didn't want to pay (what was, in fairness, very generous) relocation costs even though I asked them to be waived so that I could be transferred. In one of the world's largest firms, that was too much admin, so I left.

One day after touching down here, I received a call from the head of corporate in the HK branch asking me to come in because there was a role for me. I said no thanks.

Luckily, I found a very good role at my current place. No relocation package since I was already here...

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    My previous firm refused to transfer me to the HK office even after I agreed to work an additional month's notice and near-on killed myself pulling 20 hour days for those last months. They didn't want to pay (what was, in fairness, very generous) relocation costs even though I asked them to be waived so that I could be transferred. In one of the world's largest firms, that was too much admin, so I left.

One day after touching down here, I received a call from the head of corporate in the HK branch asking me to come in because there was a role for me. I said no thanks.

Luckily, I found a very good role at my current place. No relocation package since I was already here...
    Insightful comments, thanks. We are basically trying to come up with our policy, so that it is fair but flexible and not such a burden that we can't hire from overseas! Tricky.

I'm under 30, no degree and working for a US headquartered, multi-national RE firm.

I asked to be transferred to HK and received 1-way ticket (1,000USD), shipping cost (8,000HKD) and 1 month serviced apartment on HK island.

All in all pretty happy as my better half is here and I would've come regardless

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    I'm under 30, no degree and working for a US headquartered, multi-national RE firm.

I asked to be transferred to HK and received 1-way ticket (1,000USD), shipping cost (8,000HKD) and 1 month serviced apartment on HK island.

All in all pretty happy as my better half is here and I would've come regardless
    RE = Renewable Energy?
    How much was the 1 month serviced appt? 15k? 20k?
    Thanks for the insights. Yours is actually the closest example to the one I am looking at right now.....

RE = real estate.

My former employer - large multinational management consultancy - asked me to transfer internally to HK to develop the business here. They offered a one way ticket (economy), shipping and 2 weeks serviced apartment.

My current employer (large global bank) headhunted me (I'm an external hire) and offered a one way ticket (business class - in line with bank policy i.e. booking class depends on seniority and flight duration), private car from airport, 6 weeks serviced apartment (approx $25k/month), shared container shipment, excess baggage of 20kg over allowance plus 40kg air freight.

MovingIn07 likes this.

I work for an investment bank. They paid for bugger all. $1000 USD one-way business class flight (standard) + work visa (standard) + $300 USD excess baggage (which I had to fight for) + 4 days relocation leave (which I had to fight for). No accomodation. No container for all my belongings. And I got a slight pay cut!

a) Standard for plebs at my level
    b) Yep, senior managers get more
    c) No idea
    d) Yep, I applied but a job opening which they interpreted as "you want to go" so you don't get a "full relocation package"

Good luck

Last edited by fault; 01-12-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    luckycat and MovingIn07 like this.

a. No
    b. Vary by job title, family size and where the move is from
    c. no idea
    d. irrelevant to who initiated the transfer - I have initiated two transfers and been reassigned once and package has been the same each time

For my situation, working for multinational finance company, the relocation package included

economy class one-way tickets for family
    20 foot container for sea freight
    so many kilos by air freight - can't remember exactly, I didn't use
    all costs for house hunting - agents fee etc
    tax advice for the duration of assignment
    1 year interest free loan for deposit & upfront costs

plus

lump sum which includes money for a visitation/orientation trip, temporary accommodation and all associated costs - non expensed so the employee can spend as appropriate. This is tax-protected so employer pays the tax associated with benefit in kind

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast