View Poll Results: Your total relocation package was worth approximately how much?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pretty much nothing

31 20.95%
  • The cost of an economy flight

17 11.49%
  • About USD5,000

24 16.22%
  • About USD10,000

14 9.46%
  • About USD15,000

18 12.16%
  • About USD25,000

11 7.43%
  • More than USD25,000

23 15.54%
  • No idea/didn't relocate/don't want to say

10 6.76%
Like Tree52Likes

How much was your relocation package?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

In addition to all the other stuff mentioned here, we also get storage costs for all our stuff/furniture back home that we didn't ship out here, plus a repatriation lump sum and accommodation for a month if needed back in our home country at the end of the contract.

Oh, another thing I thought of too - spouse relocation allowance to help me 'settle in' (theoretically meant for use on courses etc, but basically a cash lump to with as we please)

Quote Originally Posted by Molie:
    Oh yes. Forgot about the shipping costs (not capped) and tax consultant (not capped and for duration of assignment) and we received HKD 100,000 for misc. relocation expenses.
    Molie, are you taxed as a local or expat?
    Last edited by bamboo budge; 21-12-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo budge:
    Do you mean taxed by home country?

Yes. I know expats on this type of terrific package but they have been viewed as on secondment, and they are taxed at their home country rate on salary, and housing, school, club paid for etc are not taxed.

If they become taxed as a local in HK, then there is no housing allowance nor schooling paid as the much lower tax rate is allows for the rental increase.

We want through all the different scenarios when planning our move here, and housing allowances, if paying HK tax, are becoming harder to get now.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo budge:
    We have no tax ties with our home country anymore with the exception of our home that we own and rent out.

Income tax in Holland is 52%! , so very happy we are taxed here and not there anymore.
    Last edited by Molie; 22-12-2011 at 01:04 PM.
    bamboo budge likes this.

I got no package, but then I am very different to most the expats where I work, and am on local tacos, with locals benefits, salary only with no package.

Still paying off the cost to move here

Regarding the other bits:

Also - are relocation packages:
    a) standard for everyone? No
    b) vary by level of employee? Depends on type of employee - LE or not
    c) vary by internal transfer vs external hire? Yes
    d) vary by who initiated the job offer (ie employee approached company vs company sought out employee)? See above

And - how big is your company? small local firm vs large US bank? etc etc. Large and public sector

Last edited by AGxM; 23-12-2011 at 12:38 PM.

28 years old, 4 years full-time working experience after Msc in financial mathematics. Got the opportunity to move and be head of department (with just myself in the department). For a start-up of a new branch for a Europeean bank. This was my package:

* Pre-visit econom-class for 4 days, stayed at LKF Hotel on Wyndham
    * All-inclusive shipping or storage of all my furniture, maximum size about 1 container (I saw the bill on this, think it costed about HK$60K)
    * HK$50K/month in housing allowance, which I can spend on housing and housing only.
    * HK$22K in one time moving lump sum
    * Pension set aside back home in Europe (~HK$10K/month)
    * Free healthcare
    * 1 free flight home per year, economy-class
    * Smaller stuff like: Free vacination at home before I moved

Salary: I got my after-tax old salary +15% (for new position) converted to HKD salary. Which is a low salary, since taxes are high and salary low where I come from.

For people with families in my company, housing is maybe 50% higher for same level and then kids school etc is also paid for. So they get a "better" package even if we are on the same level so to say. On the other hand, since I'm single my housing probably gets me further than theirs anyway.

Last edited by RobRoy; 23-12-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Salary: I got my after-tax old salary +15% (for new position) converted to HKD salary. Which is a low salary, since taxes are high and salary low where I come from.
    so what is the salary? you seemed very keen to share all the other amounts.
    is is that low?
    Last edited by shenwen; 27-02-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast