High Speed Internet Access

Closed Thread

High Speed Internet Access

What are the options in the way of high speed internet in hong kong. I heard from my realtor there is an 8mb option available. Is this the fastest option? Do they all work over the phone line like DSL in the states?

Quote Originally Posted by plexxx:
    What are the options in the way of high speed internet in hong kong. I heard from my realtor there is an 8mb option available. Is this the fastest option? Do they all work over the phone line like DSL in the states?
    There are faster options, depending on the building. You need to check with the providers. And those I know of are either ADSL through the telephone line (netvigator, pacific supernet ...) or the TV cable (I-cable).

I'd have thought HKBN would be bringing a Cat 5 cable from their access point to your flat.

They offer a 100Mbps service which might be too fast for *DSL?

HKBN has just announced a Fibre to the Home service, although at this stage I guess it is largely marketing hype. And HKBN generally don't serve areas which have high expat concentrations since then go for areas with higher population density (the mid-levels, for example, is not high enough density according to their CFO).

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    HKBN has just announced a Fibre to the Home service, although at this stage I guess it is largely marketing hype. And HKBN generally don't serve areas which have high expat concentrations since then go for areas with higher population density (the mid-levels, for example, is not high enough density according to their CFO).

Its not hype. Can't say more. Commercial in confidence -

Yes - I didn't mean that it doesn't exist, but it will take time to roll this out to a large proportion of the territory, and as they have said the areas often frequented by expats are not high on their priority list.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    I'd have thought HKBN would be bringing a Cat 5 cable from their access point to your flat.

They offer a 100Mbps service which might be too fast for *DSL?
    Yup got that in my flat in HK, Had it for 2 years now. shame sites like limewire etc are blocked on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    areas often frequented by expats are not high on their priority list.
    You might wish to rephrase this part.

Some people might take the view that things are done here on racial profile basis. Whereas the fact is they are done on a strictly commercial profile basis.

You will never be refused anything here on a Gweilo basis. Rather a Dollar basis.

Been to Dior lately? You will see what I mean.

>> Some people might take the view that things are done here on
    >> racial profile basis.

Well, not broadband, but HK is, lets put it this way, not the most politically correct city. Plenty of stuff done on racial profiling here ....

You need to find a better thread to pick on each other ... not in the comp forums.