British citizen and HKSAR passport

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British citizen and HKSAR passport

I think I understand this, but I'd appreciate confirmation from someone who knows more.

This person was born in Hong Kong. Father is a British citizen, mother is Hong Kong Chinese, and they are married.

The person has a full British passport and a Hong Kong ID card. Are they also entitled to hold a HKSAR passport? I thought they were not, but checking the information on the Immigration Department website I think I was wrong:

Immigration Department FAQ say that you can apply for a HKSAR passport even though you hold a foreign passport (Q8).

Assuming that a HKSAR passport is issued, would they then be entitled to a "home return" permit (or whatever it is called) rather paying a king's ransom for a China visa?

I'm not sure about this, but I would be surprised if being born in HK to a HK Chinese mother didn't automatically entitle you to a Home Return Permit. But the test is simple: on the HK ID card does it have "***" (or is the person is under age 18 just "*")?

I think you're right, but my concern was about whether it is OK to hold two passports - one based on being Chinese and the other on being British. I had thought that you had to choose one nationality or the other.

You are entitled to hold a HKSAR passport if your mother was a HK permanent resident at the time you were born.

However, no one uses a HKSAR passport to enter China from HK. A passport is used when the holder enters or exits a country. This is not the case at the border of China and HK. Theoretically, you are still in the same country. The solution is that you must apply for a home return card (I'm not sure the official English name) at China Travel Agency.

As for holding both HKSAR and British passport, you can have both given that you DO NOT declare your British citizenship in Hong Kong. In other words, you cannot seek any British Consulate protection if you are physically in Hong Kong.

Now that's bizarre - I put a response in here last night that said something along the lines of what Gillig Phantom said - i.e. you need the HKID card and Home Return Pass to get to China, not a passport and that if you get in trouble you would need to talk to HK Authorities, although if you also hold a British Passport I suspect the consular staff wouldn't leave you completely in the lurch. And that reply and an earlier one from KIA (referring to a site for discussionof dual-nationality issues) have disappeared completely.

I think of a passport as a travel document, and the part about consular protection is not something I've ever really considered. However, the authorities obviously regard it as important, and I suppose it's a good idea to know what might cause a problem!

GP> You're right, but it is treated as an international border crossing for some people! If you are using a foreign passport you do need it to cross the border.

1) About whether you can get HKSAR passport:
    as your mother is a HK PR and a Chinese citizen,
    since you were born in HK- you are HK PR and a Chinese citizen as well (in addition to being a British citizen by virtue of descent from your father)
    --> You are entitled to HKSAR passport, unless you've renounced your Chinese citizenship.

2) The "Home Visit Permit"- as a HK Chinese citizen, you're entitled to this Permit.
    For travelling to the mainland, you need this Permit. You can't use HKSAR passport, since you're only travelling between the HKSAR and the mainland, which are only different parts of the same country- China. The HKSAR passport (or any other passport) is generally for international travel, or travel between NATIONS.

100% yes, you are allowed to hold both of passports. - my personally hold both UK and HKSAR. - but you are not allowed to hold both a british passport and a BNO

UK and HK allow dual nationality illegally. However HK will only treat your foreign passport as a travel document rather than being your nationality.

Quote Originally Posted by O-G:
    I think I understand this, but I'd appreciate confirmation from someone who knows more.

This person was born in Hong Kong. Father is a British citizen, mother is Hong Kong Chinese, and they are married.

The person has a full British passport and a Hong Kong ID card. Are they also entitled to hold a HKSAR passport? I thought they were not, but checking the information on the Immigration Department website I think I was wrong:

Immigration Department FAQ say that you can apply for a HKSAR passport even though you hold a foreign passport (Q8).

Assuming that a HKSAR passport is issued, would they then be entitled to a "home return" permit (or whatever it is called) rather paying a king's ransom for a China visa?

No you can not hold both a UK and HKSAR passport see here.

discobay is on the money. China doesn't recognise dual nationality.

e.g. Mike Rouse surrendered his British passport to gain Chinese nationality, Chinese passport, and I assume he would get the *** on his HKID card.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast