need basic household items

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

need basic household items

We are moving to Hong Kong next Sunday for 5 months. We are renting a flat that only has furniture in it. We need everything else-flatware,pots and pans ,sheets,towels, etc. We will be in Wan Chai.Is there a shop near there where we can purchase the bare essentials-or is it better to get into a cab and go to a different area. Help!!

How about Ikea? There's one in Causeway Bay.

Rani

Thank you very much. Do you know of a worthy charity that would accept all the items when we leave in 5 months?

tex

i came across a good shop in wan chai market. it has plastic containers of all sizes, some bathroom accessories, wash cloths, basic kitchen accessories, hardware, electrical supplies, alarm clocks, batteries, in short a little of everything to get you started. mind you, most of the stuff isn't great quality but it's all very cheap (and they knock off 30% from the tag price). it's near the end of one of the lanes of the market. if i go again this week i will post the specifics.

Was it a Japan Home Center or PriceRite?

tex

it had no name! i asked actually and they just said shop #3A or 38, not sure which.

fly

Strange, I wonder if this is the same chain, as there is a branch of shop selling similar wares in Kennedy Town that is also doing the 30% off deal. Last week it was 20% and the signs say (in Chinese) "Relocation sale". Oh, electrical items are 10% off at the Kennedy Town location, btw, if its the same offer as Wan Chai then I'd put $ on it being the same chain.

tex

ok here's how you get to this store i'm talking about. look for angel cosmetics shop, across from wan chai mtr more or less. go down the lane it sits on all the way to where there are only 1 or 2 street stalls remaining. look left for a shop with a yellow sign and green chinese letters with a number 8 in there somewhere, it's got plastic stuff out front. i just went to the japanese shop today too and between the two of them this place is cheaper but there are a few things one has the toher doesn't.

Thanks for all the great information.Where are the Japanese shop and Price-rite, in case we can not get everything at the shop you just described in Wan Chai?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast