Acting in Hong Kong

Acting in Hong Kong

Hi Everyone,

I know there's a lot of posts like these on GeoExpat, but I just wanted to know if anyone knew of contacts that I could get in touch with regarding acting in Hong Kong.

I'm a 22 year old Chinese American female. I've studied acting in the states and can speak fluent Chinese. I've been trying to send my resumes everywhere such as TVB Pearl, but can't seem to get them to reply.

If there's any help or advice you could give, I'd really much appreciate it...It's obviously my dream to pursue this, and I know there needs to be a lot of talent, hard work, and dedication behind it. It's just very hard being here in HK and not having any connections. Thanks.

Have you tried the beauty pageants on HKTVB and ATV? For many, it's a shortcut to stardom. Probably too late to enter this year. Try again next summer.

Have you tried production companies people who are involved in various aspects of filming - pick up the phone and call them they may actually give you a name and phone if you ask and call try this in both Hong Kong and on the mainland?

Are you involved with local and regional theater productions - this is another approach to assist with exposure as well.

Last edited by Alby; 05-11-2007 at 07:31 AM.

I also hear there are agencies where you can be a background person on a prop. I hear it pays quite well - anyone have contacts for that? (this request is more for me actually, if you have acting training it might not be the best way in).

Thanks guys

Definitely think these responses were very helpful so thank you guys. I've definitely tried a couple of those and I've heard about the whole beauty pageant thing too. I'm in touch with several modelling agencies, but modelling is a bit different from acting (and I don't think at 5 ft 6 1/2in I'd be fit enough to be a model anyway) Alby, do you have any production companies which would be good to call? Also, I was not aware that background extras made good pay. Where did you hear about that Dean?

Quote Originally Posted by Christina85:
    Definitely think these responses were very helpful so thank you guys. I've definitely tried a couple of those and I've heard about the whole beauty pageant thing too. I'm in touch with several modelling agencies, but modelling is a bit different from acting (and I don't think at 5 ft 6 1/2in I'd be fit enough to be a model anyway) Alby, do you have any production companies which would be good to call? Also, I was not aware that background extras made good pay. Where did you hear about that Dean?

Dear Christina,

we are currently looking for actors in HK for interactive theatre shows.

Pls. send me a PM, more details to follow.

BR

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Christina85:
    Where did you hear about that Dean?
    A Missionary friend of mine who was making some extra easy cash a few years ago. I did find some of these agencies on the web but I seem to have lost their web address'.

Well, Christina85, I will give you four places where they do hire actresses.

Hong Kong Disneyland uses many cast members year around. If you don't mind working for Disney, check them out.

Ocean Park also has stage shows and entertainers. They are a world class operation.

Now for the real acting: Contact HK Academy for Performing Arts, Wan Chai. The are always staffing for local productions. A recen opera used over 100 local actors, dancers and singers. Best way to connect with movie industry.

The HK Culture Centre, TST is also a great best, as they produce many local stage shows, and provide talent for the film industry.

That's four, the rest is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by dean-dzai:
    A Missionary friend of mine who was making some extra easy cash a few years ago. I did find some of these agencies on the web but I seem to have lost their web address'.
    hey Dean, any update on this? I might be interested as well

Hey Dirk,

Tried sending you a couple of PMs...let me know if you received them and I'd like more info on these interactive shows.

Thanks