How to transfer money from HKG back to Australia?

Closed Thread

How to transfer money from HKG back to Australia?

Hi guys,

I was hoping for some advice re: which service/bank is best to use for transferring HKD from HKG back to AUD in Australian account on an ongoing (monthly) basis.

I tried using currencyonline.com but they only have a NZ account for me to send the HKD to before converting, which is obviously a waste of time/fees. I've tried Ozforex but they required a lot of ID documents so while I'm sorting that out, I was hoping for other recommendations.

Any other recommendations or should I just use my bank (Bank of China)? I would ideally like to start transferring quickly.

Thanks heaps.

Depends how rich you are.

If you are rich I would get an HSBC Premier account as transfers are free and instant. If not, just keep using your bank.

Or - why are you sending the money? If to a person you trust, then post them an ATM card and get them to draw out cash.

Office Hong Kong side but live on the dark side.

Unless that person is a signatory on the account I would not recommend posting an ATM in your name - that's fraud on the bank. Sign them up as a signatory first with a secondary card.

As for premier I use it and it's very convenient however you have to have a million HK in cash or equity (other assets too I believe) in the bank or they sling you for fees.

Citibank offers free international transfers if you have a an account both here and in AU. (AU accounts are free with them and offer free bottles of wine when dining out in some AU restaurants!)

Yeah HSBC Premier is convenient, however none of my assets/mortgages/accounts are with them at the moment and I don't intend on changing over everything to them... their mortgage rates in Aust aren't all that competitive.

I'll look into Citibank, thanks. But in the meantime, has anyone used any of the online transfer tools? I'll probably use Ozforex in the meantime but their rego process is a bit of a hassle.

Generally I use my bank account to transfer money back to Australia.

So which bank gives you a good currency exchange rate? I suspect some banks will take a big margin.

Generally, look at the exchange rate on xe.com. If your bank exchange is +3% then sack them....not hard.

Most banks have a pretty good exchange now days. they just charge for the TT. $110 or down to $60.