Like Tree69Likes

Royal family. Should they be banned?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    The Fact remains that neither Imperial Monarchy or the KMT managed to have the opportunity to lead China, like a drag race, their are no prizes for 2nd place.

So, we can piss in the wind all we like, if you treat your poor with contempt they will side with the guy that puts rice in their bowl, which usually ends badly for the rich.
    I think it's more the case that those who really wanted to reform the dynasty from within never had a real chance in making those changss. From the opium wars in the 1840's to the fall of the Qing in 1912, it was over half a century facing Western nations, ample time one would think to make the drastic reforms, but the Qing was always seized by a strong conservative reactionary streak. There were emperors (PuiYi was not the first-and he was a mere figurehead/puppet anyway) and his mandarins who tried to change the system, but it was always shot down by the Dowager CiXi, the real person in control of the dynasty in the late 19th century.

Compared this to Japan. It was just as closed-off and rigidly conservative up until the 1850's. But the Japanese realize the power (and opportunity) that the West represents and wholeheartedly embrace reforms and modernizarion. They started with the Meji restoration which swept away the Shogunate and embark upon rapid industrialization.
    dear giant likes this.

Good to see you know your Chinese history,Watercooler, and agree 100% that Japan is what it is today thanks to the Meiji Empire. I discovered a lot about that when I visited the Meiji Shrine, a short walk from Harajuku train station, Tokyo.

Last edited by Skyhook; 18-06-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Watercooler likes this.

Oh dear. Oppression?!? Yes Randy we are!

The Queen possessions are in public trust and can not be sold by anyone in the Royal Family. In exchange the monarchy get a "wage".

Granted some rich Eton boy will be born into vast wealth and own a lot of property/land. This is down to generations of building fortune over hundreds of years. Do you suggest we overthrow the Queen and steal "Robin Hood" style from the rich. Give me a break.

I suppose countries without a monarch do not have rich politicians who are corrupt or people who are only rich because their ancestors happened to live on an oil rich land.

Finally, I don't care much about the Royals but do think it is good for Britain to have. They have very little real power now, instead that is held by politicians where the Queen plays the "traditional" role such as swearing in the Prime Minister. As for people coming out for the Queens events. Most people in Britain are happy for the extra bank holidays where they can get drunk for an extra day.

Here was me thinking it was going to be a decent forum about Royal Families abusing power in the middle east not some tool thinking the working class in Britain are sent to work in coal mines.

I don't think of myself as a monarchist but I respect the prevailing system, traditions and institutions. The Royal family haven't exercised real executive power for centuries and are just figureheads but figureheads matter...particularly when they are also great statesmen. They keep the plebs perked up during bad times. Prince Philip is not in that category. I believe the Queen is. I can't recall the Queen ever sticking her nose into other people's business. I think she has done a lot of good for the Commonwealth and wouldn't mind having a cup of tea with her one day when I turn 100.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

Last edited by Loz_2; 18-06-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    Don't forget the Falklands. They have been fought for so dearly.
    True but the Falkland Islands is not a country, it's a crown dependancy so technically not eligible for the list otherwise you would have to include Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Gibraltar etc.

The Queen is head of state of the 17 countries listed.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    Yep. Oppressed and Depressed, (and sometimes Obsessed).
    and in bryant's case, often badly dressed

(sorry couldn't resist after seeing that pic of you on the bike )

I find it strange how the only time you ever see British people being patriotic is during a celebration of the monarchy.

It seems that national identity and patriotism is so weak in the UK that the only thing they have to give them any sense of national unity is the Queen.

If it wasn't for the Royal Family, the UK would be an utterly soulless place.

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matematik:
    I find it strange how the only time you ever see British people being patriotic is during a celebration of the monarchy.

It seems that national identity and patriotism is so weak in the UK that the only thing they have to give them any sense of national unity is the Queen.

If it wasn't for the Royal Family, the UK would be an utterly soulless place.
    Well you just won the absolute cock prize for being blind.

And compared to which country? Come on, spit it out.

why not let the people have some comfort in their traditions and national icons (sure if they are irrelevant or do not bring benefits to the people then they have little purpose), are people really so cynical as to only care about money and property - there's more to life.

The Royal family is a distraction for most English people from the realities of how boring their lives really are (for many people). In America they have Hollywood and gossip magazines. In England they can look at pictures of the princes and Kate and so on in their magazines.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast