Like Tree69Likes

Royal family. Should they be banned?

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Matematik:
    I find it strange how the only time you ever see British people being patriotic is during a celebration of the monarchy.

It seems that national identity and patriotism is so weak in the UK that the only thing they have to give them any sense of national unity is the Queen.

If it wasn't for the Royal Family, the UK would be an utterly soulless place.
    Well you clearly haven't been there during football tournaments. I was at one of the many many olympic torch events, out of a population of 250,000 a mere 150,000 turned out many waving flags.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    The Royal Wedding last year - an estimated 2 BILLION people tuned in to watch. That's BILLION. (sorry for the CAPS!)

If that doesn't add positively to Britain's global image and thereby allow us to punch above our weight then I don't know what else could. If the British Monarchy can pull in those kinds of figures, then they still are useful and relevant.

As for a president, I don't think anyone knows or cares about a meaningless figurehead with that title. For example: who is the president of Italy? Does anyone know? Who is the president of Greece? I could go on but I'm sure you get my drift.
    2 billion ppl tuned in to watch ?? Where do you get your figures from? Delayed live or highlights maybe but most definitely not live. Maybe the Jubilee 'fever' got to your figures...
    What is so positive about the Queen and the Royal Family ? Isn't her husband prone to stupid gaffes and wasn't Charles famous for referring to the President of China as a wax work? Yeah really proud where someone who is supposedly educated makes dumb remarks like that. Its no wonder she is trying to stay as long as she can.

One doesn't have to go the way of a meaningless President. Approach a system like the French or the Russians where both exercise a degree of power.

Stay in the antiquated system like as it is, then be prepared to be thought of as living in the dark ages where Imperialism ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by amitsingh_hk:
    2 billion ppl tuned in to watch ?? Where do you get your figures from? Delayed live or highlights maybe but most definitely not live. Maybe the Jubilee 'fever' got to your figures...
    What is so positive about the Queen and the Royal Family ? Isn't her husband prone to stupid gaffes and wasn't Charles famous for referring to the President of China as a wax work? Yeah really proud where someone who is supposedly educated makes dumb remarks like that. Its no wonder she is trying to stay as long as she can.

One doesn't have to go the way of a meaningless President. Approach a system like the French or the Russians where both exercise a degree of power.

Stay in the antiquated system like as it is, then be prepared to be thought of as living in the dark ages where Imperialism ruled.
    Do you hope that the royal family get what's coming to them?
    dear giant likes this.

I am not quite sure where you get your news from. As far as I know Russian politics only go one way - Putin's way.
    Before that it was Jeltsin's way, a long time before that it was Breshnev's way and a long time before that it was Stalin's way.
    While I applaud Gorbatchov for what he stood for achieved internationally, he unfortunately failed bitterly in his own country making way for Jeltsin, the ex KGB and so on.
    dear giant and bookblogger like this.

Does it effect you? Surely it is up to the people to decide the institutions in their own country? Or do you favour you own version of imperialism where you inflict your own views on others?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Well you clearly haven't been there during football tournaments. I was at one of the many many olympic torch events, out of a population of 250,000 a mere 150,000 turned out many waving flags.
    All sports fans are proud of their national team. That's hardly anything specific to England.

All sports fans are proud of their national team. That's hardly anything specific to England.
    Though I disagree with Matematik's overall argument, and laid out the case for respecting the royal family's claims based on property rights in a liberal society above, he has a point here. It should also be noted that fans are far more supportive of England or Scotland or Wales teams than they are of GB teams (does the whole UK actually ever play together?). Despite this, I think his argument is ludicrous. The UK seems plenty respectful of its own traditions and history, even outside the royal family and peerage.

I agree, but the point that I was responding to was that Brits only wave flags and become patriotic at Royal events. Clearly not true.

Oh and GB play as one team at the Olympics (though there was a lot of resistance especially from the Scots).

Another point following on from that is that although the Scots are going for a referendum on independence it would still be with the Queen as head of state.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I agree, but the point that I was responding to was that Brits only wave flags and become patriotic at Royal events. Clearly not true.

Oh and GB play as one team at the Olympics (though there was a lot of resistance especially from the Scots).

Another point following on from that is that although the Scots are going for a referendum on independence it would still be with the Queen as head of state.
    Oh I know GB play as a team at the Olympics. I asked about the whole UK , including NOrthern Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by fraxbo:
    Oh I know GB play as a team at the Olympics. I asked about the whole UK , including NOrthern Ireland.
    As an example, if you watch international athletics you'll see that the GB team is usually referred to as GB & NI by the BBC.

The GB Olympics team represents England, Scotland, Wales AND Northern Ireland. I think it's just become easier to shorten it to GB.

If we're going down the Scotland wants a referendum route, it might be interesting to mention the Isle of Man since they're part of the British Isles but not part of the European Union. And yes, Isle of Man are included in the Olympic team (represented this year by Mark Cavendish in cycling).

As for the rest of this thread, anyone who thinks the British aren't patriotic clearly knows nothing about the British.
    hullexile, Boris and bookblogger like this.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast