Bringing Devices to HKG

Question Bringing Devices to HKG

Hi there,
    we will move to HKG in two weeks. As packing has already started we are very much wondering wether we should bring all our devices or not. In particular we are thinking of:

i) our TVs
    however these are GERMAN TVs and as far as I know they might not work in the UK, for instance. Has anyone experiences with this? or even better can anyone tell me the tv-system used in HKG?

ii) washing machine
    actually we will start with a service-appartment but want to move in an own flat b4 christmas latest - is it usual to have a washing machine connection in a flat?

Thanks a lot for your replies in advance!

**Wondering!

The TV broadcast standard is I/PAL or PAL-I, sound is often sent out using Nicam-I which is a multi-lingual format.

Here's all the technical information you might need... and a lot more.
    http://www.hkba.org.hk/hkba/en/tv/codes.html

Washing machine connections depends on the flat. Many have connections, specially if you're looking at larger apartment sizes. My advice.. leave your major appliances or sell them and buy new or used appliances / gadgets here in Hong Kong.

Many thanks for your reply.

Heard from a friend which moved to the UK that even there are different PAL Systems (resulting that the devices dont work over there) that the devices can be used anyway with a digital receiver...therefore my question: is it usual that you have these digital receivers in HKG?

Thanks again.

He is probably thinking of a converter. The only digital receivers here in Hong Kong are cable TV and now broadband TV, which output PAL/I

Re: TVs... any electronics for that matter.

Leave them at home. The electronics are new and cheaper here. It will cost you the same to bring your old one here than buying a new one. Make up any financial loss by selling your old one. Or make a kid or family member happy and give out your electronics; pass the buck.

If you want to invest more money - get yourself a flat-screen TV. Those are multi-systems and you can bring it anywhere in the world easily.

For the rest of your small devices, buy a good electrical converter. Or two.
    I'm very glad I bought one in Canada before coming over. I don't want to trust my laptop, digital camera and cellphone to converters I buy here.

Also: this may be a weird tip:
    bring a powerbar with you so you can plug many devices into your converter.

And my problem so far has been with an electric razor. The thing was making so much noise after I plugged it in - I dared not touch my face with it.

Last edited by doogle; 09-11-2004 at 02:02 PM. Reason: No editing done - just wanted to subscribe to the thread...forgot to in the first place.