How much to ship?

Closed Thread

How much to ship?

I've searched this forum and checked out a few websites, but I don't really have an idea what shipping costs are for a container's worth of stuff going out of Hong Kong to the USA (East Coast). Most of the sites are like "gives us your details and we'll call you" which is a bit more than I want to deal with right now.

I'm not ready to move (just got here) but am thinking of buying some nice furniture while I'm over here and don't want to donate it when I leave because I can't afford a 20 foot container (more or less) to take it back to the USA. Assuming I don't get a corporate move allowance (I got one coming this way, but they are stingy) I was just wondering what sort of prices I should budget for going back.

Are there any websites that have a good comparison of shipping prices ?(might be a good idea to make one if not).

Any guess-timates?

I asked a mate and she said that containers to New York (as an example) including bringing the container to your home, packing the goods, taking the container to the port, doing the paperwork and clearance, the shipping itself, and customs clearance and paperwork, delivery and unpacking at the other end would cost around HK$ 65,000 for a 20' container and 100,000 for a 40 foot container. This includes average amount insurance.
    Bear in mind also that this is present market rate with oil where it is. If you are between a 20 and 40 you could also look into the possibility of sharing a container but this depends purely on how quickly you want your stuff there as it may wait here until another shipment for New York of the right volume comes along.

Hope this helps.

FWIW, I just got a quote for 500 cubic feet to the East Coast of the USA for about $52,000 HK, which is I gather about half of a 20 foot container.