Like Tree107Likes

Taxi driver rip off

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

The bottom line is the OP should have had proper change to avoid the scenario or he should grow a pair and put up a defense to being taken by the taxi driver. I don't see how it can be anymore succint than that. For this thread to go 12 pages is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNumberOne:
    For this thread to go 12 pages is insane.
    Oh really! If you had not gone on arguing over and over and inturn generating counter & supportive arguments, then it would not have gone on for "INSANE" 12 pages....

DOH!
    jimbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    ...Where does it say that he can't lock the doors to prevent a passenger from not paying the fare? If it was illegal then why would taxis have that capability in the first place?...
    ...Once again, if it was completely illegal in HK then why would taxis have the capability to do it? It is certainly not standard equipment in all cars...
    This is absolutely correct. Likewise, anyone who owns a car will know this, cars are not capable of going past 50, or is it 60kph, because exceeding the speed limit on Hong Kong roads is illegal and punishable by law.
    subsist likes this.

Seriously? That's the best analogy you can come up with? Pretty lame...

Why don't you come up with something a bit more tangible? As pointed out above with the false imprisonment bit above, it is common and lawful in many places for store owners to be able to detain someone suspected of stealing. Extending that logic to the fact that taxis here actually have something installed to prevent people from running away without paying would point to the fact that it is allowable within reason, until a policeman arrives to settle the dispute for example.

I can't say that I'm certain since I'm not a lawyer but it is logical. I'm certainly open to the idea that it could be wrong however you certainly would need more than an idiotic analogy that makes little sense.

Come on gilles ... the argument that a car wouldn't have central locking if it was illegal to lock someone in the car is ridiculous and you know it.

There is a lot of illogical rubbish going round on this thread, that's for sure!

dear giant likes this.

Well that's a powerful argument you have there. What is the reason that virtually all cabs are equipped with this particular functionality? I agree that the fact that they all have it in itself is not a proof that it is legal but combined with the fact that it is legal in many jurisdiction for a business owner to detain someone suspected of stealing for a reasonable amount of time, it certainly hints at the fact that it is quite possibly legal for a cabbie to do this... Now if anyone has proven instances/laws/regulations in HK that contradicts this, I'll have nothing against it but it certainly makes sense to me that a cabbie is entitled to try to prevent someone from robbing him and allow police to deal with it just like other business owners.

Best useless argument of the year.

Well done boys!

Poignant comment from the king of useless one liners

Poignant comment from the king of useless one liners
    Gilles....hknumber one..... competitin is fierce nowadays for the best troll award.....

Just to amuse me a little...care to tell which bit of ur rambling on this thread is 'useful'?

yup....useless...at least i don't write pages :-D

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile

No need to try to amuse you, you're obviously great at pleasing yourself