Like Tree107Likes

Taxi driver rip off

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Next time tell the driver you don't have money at all. Don't mention the 500/1000 note.

i dont understand.

you had 500 or 1000 - so got charged 100?

so he did have change for 500? ie he peeled off 4 red ones for you.

anyways if you look on the meter list - it says $ x for X mins of waiting...

use that as an option next time?

I definitely would have got his number and reported him.

bit shocked - never had one this bad - I've had em try and take me the wrong way before tho.

As an addedum to my earlier post, what is your profile? I mean the cabbie profiled you. If he sees you (rightly or wrongly) as a businesman in a suit, is likely he would acquiese to your request to visit 7-11. If he sees you as a bar rat just back from a night of partying and using him to get home after being flat on funds, then its a whole different situation. Other factors are honest local speaking to him in Cantonese, down and out gweilo kid, well healed gweilo expat. rich local, etc. The fact that he locked the doors tells me he viewed you as being dishonest based on how he profiled you. If you are SE Asian (exeption would be East Asian meaning Chinese from SG or Malaysia only), you can throw any chance out the window as its just the way it is in HK. He saw you as a credit risk the moment you walked into the cab but there was no preferred customer at the time so he took you in. You needed to find a way to make him comfortable that your "credit" was good. One way is putting up your ID as collatoral and then taking his cab number as a counter. Bottom line is still you did not take control of the situation.

Last edited by HKNumberOne; 17-07-2012 at 12:06 PM.
    Onyxwhisky likes this.

Perhaps also a reflection on the customer... Why should he trust a guy leaving his cab? What's he going to do chase after him around Jordan if he doesn't come back to pay? Leave the car on the curb and walk with the customer to 7/11?

In Melbourne, you often have to prepay the estimated amount and you only get the change at the end of the trip.

Taxi driver wasn't very nice however customer was foolish not to have change or check with the driver at the beginning...

Audiot

I had $500 note and $14 in loose change.
    Offered him the $14 whilst I popped into 7-11. He wouldn't let me leave the taxi until he got paid in full.

Hk number one and Gilles

This was at 7pm! I wasn't exactly a bar rat at that time, I'd got off work.
    The 7-11 was in clear view of the taxi, Yes of course I'm going to do a runner on a $20 fare FFS.

Last edited by jimbo; 17-07-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

I suggest you all read the following:

http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/...ation/3tce.pdf

dear giant likes this.

Looks like the taxi driver scammed the OP hard. He clearly had the change all along, as he changed $500 into 4 $100's and kept the final $100.

If the OP had offered to pay with a $100, would the driver been able to make the change of $80? Of course. If so, he could have made the change from $500 too.

dear giant and MovingIn07 like this.

Agreed TheBrit, looks like he fleeced Jimbo on a technicality and some amount of threat...

Quote Originally Posted by HKNumberOne:
    As an addedum to my earlier post, what is your profile? I mean the cabbie profiled you. If he sees you (rightly or wrongly) as a businesman in a suit
    Unlikely. I have seen Jimbo leaving work. He wears crocs and what I can only describe as a threadbare version of Bryant English's grandad shirt.
    dear giant likes this.

Bottom line is that the cabbie followed the rules so it's not really a scam. 7pm in Jordan has to be fairly busy and how is he expected to know that the passenger won't just walk away? I agree that there's a fair chance that he might have used the rules to extract a bigger fare but technically, he's not the one at fault. Sometimes you have to pay for your foolishness or lack of preparedness.

Anyway, a big shot like you can afford to lose $80 right Think of it as giving to the little people that cater to your needs!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast