Like Tree107Likes

Taxi driver rip off

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    yeah I see that side of what you are saying.,

but for me I'm stubborn. and if I wasnt in a rush ie I had finished work - I might have made him wait whislt I messed on the internet on my iphone..

to me a principle - I might have sat there until it did say 100 on the meter.... or the cops came..

I did get fleeced by a cab driver once - he deliberately and repeatedly ignored my directions - I felt we were being kidnapped.. he pulled up at some lights ironically by a police station and we just got out the cab and did a runner.
    You think you are some kind of hero by running? If I were the cabbie would have chased after you and given you an injury you would regret.

Do it Brooklyn style and hit him with a shovel lol :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Randy, what other options did I have?
    Pretty obvious isn't it?

You pay him nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNumberOne:
    You think you are some kind of hero by running? If I were the cabbie would have chased after you and given you an injury you would regret.
    a dog learns tricks by being given biscuits....

he learnt a lesson that time tho didnt he?

just cos he had 2 western women in his cab doesn't mean he can take us for a ride...
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    Pretty obvious isn't it?

You pay him nothing.
    Yes thats a clever move when you're locked in a taxi

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Yes thats a clever move when you're locked in a taxi
    Jimbo its a difficult call. I think just take it as a lesson learned to have proper change.

Some of you obviously have great difficulties looking at things from a different point of view. Even if the cabbie has the change, it doesn't matter. These guys are not the great exploiter of the people, they make very little money providing a very cheap service for people that are generally far better off than they are. It's 7pm which means a very good time to pick up fares and make money. If he gives away all of his change, that means he can't pick up another fare right away, he has to waste his time to go and make change, it means parking the car at a busy time which isn't necessarily easy, maybe buying something he doesn't need at the store before getting back to business. No doubt a hassle at that time of the day and in that location. Yet he seems expected to bend over for an ill prepared customer for the grand sum of 20$... the more I look at it and the more I'm thinking that 100$ wasn't too far off really... Certainly no less than $50 for his trouble...

Call the cops? What will they do? The cabbie is within his rights and the customer is required to pay. I would imagine in the extreme, he wouldn't even have to give back as much as he did.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    Pretty obvious isn't it?

You pay him nothing.
    Then he calls the cops, you waste time and you likely end up having to pay the fare + time wasted at minimum. In my opinion, there's a fair chance that the cop would side with the taxi guy on the $100 and certainly no less than $50 and you've wasted a lot of people's time.

Not what I would call a great victory...

Some of you seem to forget

1. I asked him to take me to an ATM where I can get $100
    2. We stopped within spitting distance of a 7-11 where I could step out and get change

Both options he refused.

dear giant likes this.

nice philosphy gilles.. i see what you getting at..

but not really 100% moral perhaps?

all his change? the only part of his change he is required to carry is up to 100 $ is seems?

so if jimbo had a 100 and then the taxi driver had refused to give him the 80 back hows that?

after all he's only supposed to "entertain change" as much as he can...

basically its a savvy rip off - as he had the 400 + change

. and I would be pissed on principle... and its perfectly legal to ask a cab to wait for you - with the meter running,,,'

leave a bag or coat in the cab whilst u nip into the 7/11

and Gilles - why would the cop side with the taxi driver?
    the taxi driver is already contravening the regulations - he should entertain as much the change situ as poss,.,. he's already shown he has the change for 500 - he's plainly in the wrong

Last edited by audiot; 17-07-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast