Like Tree107Likes

Taxi driver rip off

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

The driver was an idiot and needs to be hit with a shovel lol.

dear giant and justjoe86 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    nice philosphy gilles.. i see what you getting at..

but not really 100% moral perhaps?

all his change? the only part of his change he is required to carry is up to 100 $ is seems?

so if jimbo had a 100 and then the taxi driver had refused to give him the 80 back hows that?

after all he's only supposed to "entertain change" as much as he can...

basically its a savvy rip off - as he had the 400 + change

. and I would be pissed on principle... and its perfectly legal to ask a cab to wait for you - with the meter running,,,'

leave a bag or coat in the cab whilst u nip into the 7/11
    Ive left laptops and briefcases in cabs and told drivers to wait while I entered buildings and came back out 5 mins later. Not everyone is dishonest.

Nowhere does it say he's supposed to entertain as much as he can. That is your interpretation...all that it says is to try to come to a mutual agreement. And as I said, why would the cabbie give up all his change to a customer when he doesn't have to and then waste his time and money(which he doesn't have much of) to cater to a customer that wasn't careful?

Nowhere does it say he has to agree to a customer leaving the cab on a promise he would get back. That's ridiculous particularly at that time and location of the day. A fair compromise could have been to leave your HKID as a guarantee and an extra 20$ for the trouble.

Why don't you give it a try and call the cops in a similar situation and see which side he lands on... As I said, I'm pretty sure it would be at least 50HKD

You're not exactly in a good place to talk about morality when you decide to do a runner on a taxi driver. I'm pretty sure you'd have a hard time finding the ideal of stealing from those who you think have stolen from you. Guess you like Robin Hood though he stole from the rich to give back to the poor, probably the opposite of what you did. It sounds like your view of morality is looking out for number one which is exactly what the cabbie was doing...

Last edited by gilleshk; 17-07-2012 at 02:24 PM.

What is wrong with you people, is it the weather or something?

Yes, Jimbo did get screwed over by the cabbie, but the cabbie was well within the law not to accept the $500. He SHOULD entertain other solutions, but he does not have to.

The law is quite freaking clear on this point, a cabbie will not be breaking the law if he doesn't accept HK$500 notes. At the end of the day it is the passenger's responsibility to ensure they have enough change under HK$500. END OF STORY.

Last edited by pin; 17-07-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    HKNumberOne and jgl like this.

I am an extremely moral person, that taxi driver had several opportunities to do the right thing.. but chose to do a 15 - 20 minute detour..

dont give me crap about he didnt understand,, or couldnt do as I asked,. I drive and know my way around - I clicked onto his plan ( since it was the 2nd time a taxi tried this - the first time I accepted it as I didnt realise the route was sooooo long.. )

I asked him to turn around legally and he ignored me... refused to make eyecontact or anything...

http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/...ation/3tce.pdf

page 7 section A,,

the last sentence says it all.... the guy had change for 500 as is blatantly clear..

which part isn't clear to you?

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

The law is quite freaking clear on this point, a cabbie will not be breaking the law if he doesn't accept HK$500 notes. At the end of the day it is the passenger's responsibility to ensure they have enough change under HK$500. END OF STORY.
    whats wrong with your comprehension skills?

it says its not illegal if he CANT give change for a 500 ( and he could! )

not he doesnt have to if he doesnt "feel" like it !!!!!
    \

edit

Gilles are you reading the chinese or the english?

edit 2

ok I read it all... but the guy did accept the 5000 cos he gave change for it.... so he is contravening part a... ie should entertain!!
    Last edited by audiot; 17-07-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: cut the funny picture out

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    whats wrong with your comprehension skills?

it says its not illegal if he CANT give change for a 500 ( and he could! )

not he doesnt have to if he doesnt "feel" like it !!!!!
    \

edit

Gilles are you reading the chinese or the english?
    I know exactly what I'm reading and also how to interpret the law. Also remember, what you linked (which I had already linked) are best practice guides. The only law is that "It is not an offence if a taxi driver cannot give change to HK$500 or HK$1,000 notes". The rest is just best practice.

SHOULD does not mean the taxi driver HAS to.

(I am so going to be proven wrong, but until that happens, I am right).
    audiot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Last night I took a cab in Jordan, After getting in I realised I didn't have enough loose change to pay the fare. It was a $20 fare but I only had a $500 note and $14 in loose change.

I explained to the driver that's all I had but he stopped within a 30 second walk of a 7-11 and I offered to to get out and get some change from there, Or take me to the nearest ATM where I can get $100.

He refused on both counts and ended up having to pay $100 for a $20 fare. Somewhat peed off and no I didn't get his number etc, Really wasn't in the mood.

Just a warning to you all to make sure you have change especially at the start of a cab shift.
    How long have you lived in Hong Kong? You offer him Hong Kong currency and you said you had $500. If he cannot break it, its his problem, not yours. Please explain what law requires you to pay taxi fares in notes under $100. You have the money and offered to pay. He can go and get change if he needs to. Otherwise, he can take the $14. I have had cab drivers accept RMB to avoid doing this. Get your act together.

The taxi driver fleeced Jimbo on the mere technicality that he doesn't have to entertain change of $500, which means even if he has the change (which he clearly did), he doesn't need to give it.
    Yes Jimbo, could have asked in advance, and yes the cabbie could have pursuaded to stop for a minute at a store or atm, but well taht didn't happen, and you know why?
    Because we needed a new thread where in we are not arguing about the merits of KFC, Burger King or Watsons water...

dear giant and justjoe86 like this.

BTW this and that Kelsey Mudd clown from a few years back, I have to say cabbies are in the right.

Article from The Standard:

Oral sex offer to taxi driver ends in court

Natalie Wong

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A woman was convicted of soliciting sex and indecently assaulting a taxi driver when she could not pay the fare.

Mainlander Liu Wuxiu, 45, and another mainlander, still at large, seduced the 47-year-old driver and offered him oral sex after claiming they did not have sufficient money for their journey last December.
    Liu was convicted at Kowloon City Magistrates' Courts of soliciting for an immoral purpose, indecent assault and attempting to pervert the course of justice.
    Magistrate Ronald Cheung Wai-tat found Liu not guilty of stealing a mobile phone from the vehicle.
    Cheung adjourned sentencing yesterday and ordered Liu to remain in custody.

The court heard that the indecent assault occurred during a ride from Waterloo Road to Tai Wai at about 3.45pm on December 29.

The two women told the cabbie they only had HK$50 for the fare and offered him oral sex in exchange.
    Despite his refusal, Liu who sat next to the driver took off her clothes and exposed her breasts. She also touched his genitals, chest and cheek.
    Her friend, who was seated in the rear of the taxi, pushed the driver's seat and urged him to accept Liu's offer, the court was told.
    The driver struggled and demanded the women get out of his vehicle immediately.
    After the pair paid HK$18 and got out at Kowloon Tong, he later found that his cell phone worth HK1,500 was missing.
    The cabbie drove around the area and caught the women.
    He called the police despite Liu offering him HK$2,000 for not telling the officers to arrest her.
    Liu's friend fled the scene before the police arrived.
    In mitigation, the defense lawyer said Liu was not to blame and it was her friend who was behind it all.
    He said his client attempted to stop the driver from reporting to the police because she was "too frightened."
    He pleaded for a lenient sentence for Liu, saying that she has learned her lesson after being remanded in custody for three months.
    Last edited by HKNumberOne; 17-07-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast