Like Tree107Likes

Taxi driver rip off

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Some of you obviously have great difficulties looking at things from a different point of view. Even if the cabbie has the change, it doesn't matter. These guys are not the great exploiter of the people, they make very little money providing a very cheap service for people that are generally far better off than they are. It's 7pm which means a very good time to pick up fares and make money. If he gives away all of his change, that means he can't pick up another fare right away, he has to waste his time to go and make change, it means parking the car at a busy time which isn't necessarily easy, maybe buying something he doesn't need at the store before getting back to business. No doubt a hassle at that time of the day and in that location. Yet he seems expected to bend over for an ill prepared customer for the grand sum of 20$... the more I look at it and the more I'm thinking that 100$ wasn't too far off really... Certainly no less than $50 for his trouble...

Call the cops? What will they do? The cabbie is within his rights and the customer is required to pay. I would imagine in the extreme, he wouldn't even have to give back as much as he did.
    Where do you come up with this nonsense? You offer to pay with the money that you have which is adequate. if he refuses, then film it with your phone. I had a taxi driver drive me around in circles and then tried to charge me $60 for what should have been a $20 ride if i actually arrived there. I just gave him ten and left the cab. He thought he was smart and went to the police. When I explained to them what he did and the directions I gave him in Cantonese, they told me I was right and walked away. The law only requires that you pay for the services you receive. If he cannot make change, he does not get a bonus. he can go get change or get nothing. You are totally within your right if you do that.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    honestly I might have called the cops at this point..

becos he did have the change...

not sure what PIN means? cos whilst it does say on that PDF that the taxi driver is not required to carry change for a 500 BUT HE SHOULD ENTERTAIN PASSENGERS REQUEST FOR CHANGE AS FAR AS POSSIBLE ( sorry caps but aint retyping that ! )

thanks for the heads up - maybe I' take the 400 first then call the police refuse to leave the vehicle until he hands it over..

definitely get his number tho... as this is total BS..

altho I have experienced probs with this in the past so I have asked if they have change for the big cloud before setting off
    A taxi driver is not a law enforcement officer. If you have a dispute, then its a civil matter, unless you refused to pay at all and ran away, then its criminal. If he attempts to detain you or hold you or lock you in his car for any reason, that is false imprisonment, which would make the taxi driver legally liable. If a taxi driver ever attempt to lock you in his car, break out the windows and run, you are within your right to flee a false imprisonment. As far as tax drivers not being required to carry change for $500, which is nothing because when i go to the airport its nearly $400, that is not written in the law. If you offer to pay for services rendered with HK notes, then you are well within the law. Do not put up with this crap.
    dear giant likes this.

Jimbo: my congratulations for starting the most contentious post of the day!

Still not as bad as Manila or Singapore cab driver sheisters.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    Still not as bad as Manila or Singapore cab driver sheisters.

I'm proud to say my Tagalog and knowledge of Manila streets now mean I never get ripped off.

A taxi driver is not a law enforcement officer. - CORRECT

If you have a dispute, then its a civil matter,unless you refused to pay at all and ran away, then its criminal. - CORRECT

If he attempts to detain you or hold you or lock you in his car for any reason, that is false imprisonment, - CORRECT

which would make the taxi driver legally liable. - CORRECT (and I should add this could carry criminal and civil liability)

If a taxi driver ever attempt to lock you in his car, break out the windows and run, you are within your right to flee a false imprisonment. - CORRECT

As far as tax drivers not being required to carry change for $500, which is nothing because when i go to the airport its nearly $400, that is not written in the law. - CORRECT (although what you might pay for a trip to the airport Packy is not actually relevant.)

If you offer to pay for services rendered with HK notes, then you are well within the law. -CORRECT

Last edited by Editor; 19-07-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Jimbo wasn't being stupid.

Someone (the driver) put him in a bizarre and adrenaline-pumping/fight-or-flight situation, was likely shouting and waving his arms around, had locked him in his vehicle, etc.

Assuming that Jimbo doesn't speak Canto and that he's a generally law-abiding person who doesn't thrill at the prospect of getting involved in a legal tangle with a local and cops who likely will not even be able to understand his (Jimbo's) side of the story and that it would be his word against the driver's, that Jimbo is not yet a permanent resident and might conceivably be worried about some minor incident mushrooming and potentially affecting his visa/employment, I can 100% see giving that piece of human garbage cabbie the $100 to get out of that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Yes thats a clever move when you're locked in a taxi
    Jimbo, just curious...how did he lock you in? Was it a new cab? Most of the cabs I have been in, I can easily override their automatic lock by unlatching the door lock manually.....
    audiology likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    Jimbo wasn't being stupid.

Someone (the driver) put him in a bizarre and adrenaline-pumping/fight-or-flight situation, was likely shouting and waving his arms around, had locked him in his vehicle, etc.

Assuming that Jimbo doesn't speak Canto and that he's a generally law-abiding person who doesn't thrill at the prospect of getting involved in a legal tangle with a local and cops who likely will not even be able to understand his (Jimbo's) side of the story and that it would be his word against the driver's, that Jimbo is not yet a permanent resident and might conceivably be worried about some minor incident mushrooming and potentially affecting his visa/employment, I can 100% see giving that piece of human garbage cabbie the $100 to get out of that situation.
    Regarding one person's word against another, there are 2 very simple solutions:

1 - record the act with an iphone (takes 1 min to do - film the driver, make the offer to pay him, film the refusal from the driver, and then leave, using reasonable force, which includes smashing a window if the driver refuses to allow him to exit - again its important to film the refusal).

2 - call the police, who will be witnesses.

Perhaps Jimbo was being practical, in that the price he paid was less than the "cost" of the hassle of involving the police etc. If this is the case, he should not be complaining. The fact that he is complaining, and somehow feels that he was forced into handing he money over, makes me think he more likely was just stupid. Or perhaps that is not exactly the right word. Perhaps coward, or mis-informed - I am not sure how to describe it, but I feel that sometimes, you do need to be aware of and assertively exercize your rights. I dislike people being bullied, or ripped off due to lack of legal knowledge, which seems was what happened in this case.

I can understand is easy to be pressured into a situation like that. I don't doubt I would also have considered just paying him the 100 bucks for expediency bugger arguing it on principle.

dear giant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast