Like Tree107Likes

Taxi driver rip off

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Taxi driver rip off

Last night I took a cab in Jordan, After getting in I realised I didn't have enough loose change to pay the fare. It was a $20 fare but I only had a $500 note and $14 in loose change.

I explained to the driver that's all I had but he stopped within a 30 second walk of a 7-11 and I offered to to get out and get some change from there, Or take me to the nearest ATM where I can get $100.

He refused on both counts and ended up having to pay $100 for a $20 fare. Somewhat peed off and no I didn't get his number etc, Really wasn't in the mood.

Just a warning to you all to make sure you have change especially at the start of a cab shift.

dear giant likes this.

Fairly sure the drivers are not required to carry change for $500 notes, it says on the little yellow sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Last night I took a cab in Jordan, After getting in I realised I didn't have enough loose change to pay the fare. It was a $20 fare but I only had a $500 note and $14 in loose change.

I explained to the driver that's all I had but he stopped within a 30 second walk of a 7-11 and I offered to to get out and get some change from there, Or take me to the nearest ATM where I can get $100.

He refused on both counts and ended up having to pay $100 for a $20 fare. Somewhat peed off and no I didn't get his number etc, Really wasn't in the mood.

Just a warning to you all to make sure you have change especially at the start of a cab shift.
    I suppose in his mind he was charging you a premium for the opportunity cost of lost time ie another customer trip. You should have offered something north of $20 to him -- but certaintly not $100. The offer should have been say $50 for his trouble or $14 -- take it or leave it. Next time you get taken like that, tell him sternly you would report him to 5-0 and do everything possible to get his license revoked as $100 is unreasonable. The situation turned out the way it did because you didn't take control and once he sensed your weakness in negotiation he took you for as much as he could. Not criticizing you but you need to be more agressive.

This has happened to me before: I refused to hand over the money and walked out.
    The guy started grumbling and yelling and I calmly walked into the 7-11, got some change and then paid him. He wasnt happy but he got paid.

Why didnt you just walk out? The worst he was going to do would be call the cops. By the time the call was finished, you would have paid him....

dear giant and MovingIn07 like this.

He locked the doors

dear giant likes this.

There have been times when I got in the cab with only $500 bill, but before starting the journey I asked the cabbie if he has change, if he hasn't then I asked if I could break it at 7-11, and they usually agree.
    Looks like your cabbie was looking for a rip off...

dear giant likes this.

According to the Transport Department: "It is not an offence if a taxi driver cannot give change to HK$500 or HK$1,000 notes."

dear giant likes this.

Yeap, I have asked to be taken to an ATM to draw cash for the fare in cases where I have fallen short, or told the cabbie that I am going to get some change from a shop and made sure to the extent possible that I remained in sight to ease any concerns. Haven't had problems doing that so I think your cabbie was being a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    He locked the doors
    If you kept the receipt or know the plate/name - I'd lodge a complaint. Pretty assholish thing to do IMO.
    dear giant likes this.

im wary of cabs now as they seem to be getting dodgier, ive encountered meters that are obviously clocking up faster than they should be, drivers who ignore directions and go the long way on purpose and refuse to let you out 'until it's safe' ie another 500m down the road.

Now if they dont listen or ignore when I point out the way to go I open the door while the cab is moving, that tends to wake them up that I'm serious

dear giant and MovingIn07 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast