Like Tree52Likes

What is your favorite spot in Hong Kong?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

There are many favorites of mine for various reasons. I love Mong Kok, basically any cooked food center, and Temple Street in Jordan because I love seeing unbridled capitalism at work. Only the barest regulation applies, and even that is skirted.
    I love the hill on which I work, Tao Fung Shan for the frequent monkey visits and views from my office, especially after a rain, where the Shatin Valley looks like. Fairy tale.
    I love Kadoorie farm for the gorgeous nature and agriculture mixed together. I like the whole area around Yuen Long because it is the only place in Hong Kong with undistirbed flat space. It reminds me of a desert or moonscape, especially around Kat Hing Wai. I love Stanley for the waterfront. It is a place one can always escape to for a brief reminder of life in the west.
    I love sitting out at DecknBeer in TsT waterfront watching all the traffic in HK harbor passing by.
    I don't especially
    Like Discovery Bay. I don't like Ma Wan. I don't like the midlevels, but the last only because my entire time in HK has been spent pushing a stroller around, and it is extraordinarily difficult to both get to and navigate the area with one.

Watercooler and Gatts like this.

Eating chilli crab in temple street on a hot summer night.

We love where we live, near the Gold Coast....

Sunset at Black Point Beach near Black Point Power Station. Those who have been will understand the walking on glass/water illusion at dusk!

Lau Fau Shan but more for the little areas to the north and south, fishing ponds, little isolated villages....it's great!
    Lau Fau Shan

Places like Tai Tong Lychee, Lavender Garden, many, many of these family friendly places in the NTs.....just drive!

Nam Sang Wai, we love to take the little boat over the Pui Pui and enjoy rustic food on the old restaurant over the lake!!
    Cafe on the water

Basically, we love the countryside and living in the NTs. Please enjoy your concrete ants nests and have a nice day :-)

Last edited by bryant.english; 12-08-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:

Basically, we love the countryside and living in the NTs. Please enjoy your concrete ants nests and have a nice day :-)
    ... says the man who is encouraging everyone to drive, which of course encourages the building of new roads, and the concreting of more countryside.
    chingleutsch, Gatts and er2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fraxbo:
    There are many favorites of mine for various reasons. I love Mong Kok, basically any cooked food center, and Temple Street in Jordan because I love seeing unbridled capitalism at work. Only the barest regulation applies, and even that is skirted.
    I love the hill on which I work, Tao Fung Shan for the frequent monkey visits and views from my office, especially after a rain, where the Shatin Valley looks like. Fairy tale.
    I love Kadoorie farm for the gorgeous nature and agriculture mixed together. I like the whole area around Yuen Long because it is the only place in Hong Kong with undistirbed flat space. It reminds me of a desert or moonscape, especially around Kat Hing Wai. I love Stanley for the waterfront. It is a place one can always escape to for a brief reminder of life in the west.
    I love sitting out at DecknBeer in TsT waterfront watching all the traffic in HK harbor passing by.
    I don't especially
    Like Discovery Bay. I don't like Ma Wan. I don't like the midlevels, but the last only because my entire time in HK has been spent pushing a stroller around, and it is extraordinarily difficult to both get to and navigate the area with one.
    I like your suggestions (except the lands around Kat Hing Wai seem to me to be mostly covered by village house sprawl and scrapyards), but when you talk about the unbridled capitalism at work in Mong Kok, you are including the protection rackets?

Some of my favourite places: Ling Wui Shan and the coastal trail around southwest Lantau, the squatter village at Lei Yue Mun, the Pat Sin Leng peaks, Sai Kung's islands and Pak Lap Wan, Kadoorie Farm, the old streets and Thai restaurants of Kowloon City, Cheung Chau, the huts and pool on Sunset Peak, Tung Ping Chau, Shek O, the ruins along the coast of Pokfulam, the abandoned villages at Sha Lo Tung, Wan Chai street market, Lions nature garden, Yau Ma Tei's old market area, Tung Lung Chau, Tai Po railway museum, Tap Mun.

Forgot to add - faves =
    *beach at Mui Wo and bicycling through the countryside
    *there a deserted little village on Ma Wan that is quiet
    *in Sai Kung Country Park there is a sea kayak centre that rents to public

My place. Especially during the week with no tourists

Watching the sun set from Braemar Hill is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I like your suggestions (except the lands around Kat Hing Wai seem to me to be mostly covered by village house sprawl and scrapyards), but when you talk about the unbridled capitalism at work in Mong Kok, you are including the protection rackets?
    I didn't quite have protection rackets in mind, since I don't involve myself with triads all that often. Just the relative ease of setting up shop and low overheads, the ability to deal in black or grey market goods, the enormous amount of competition, and the willingness to accommodate the customer's needs. All the best aspects of the market.
    The area around Kat Hing Wai I was thinking about is near the house tree. I forget the name of the village with the country club and the ancestral halls. From the edges of that village looking in every direction you get a sense of space on land not present elsewhere in HK. There are always either mountains or buildings interrupting one's view in the near background. Not so there. it isn't the actual scenery that is especially admirable there, just the sense of space.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast