Like Tree52Likes

What is your favorite spot in Hong Kong?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    Watching the sun set from Braemar Hill is pretty awesome.
    Especially from some of the lookouts beneath the radio tower on the trail from Mt Butler to Braemar Hill.
    Thanks for sharing the Lavendar Farm. Will need to check that out. When will flowers be in full bloom?
    Last edited by threelittlepigs; 13-08-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    We love where we live, near the Gold Coast....

Sunset at Black Point Beach near Black Point Power Station. Those who have been will understand the walking on glass/water illusion at dusk!

Lau Fau Shan but more for the little areas to the north and south, fishing ponds, little isolated villages....it's great!
    Lau Fau Shan

Places like Tai Tong Lychee, Lavender Garden, many, many of these family friendly places in the NTs.....just drive!

Nam Sang Wai, we love to take the little boat over the Pui Pui and enjoy rustic food on the old restaurant over the lake!!
    Cafe on the water

Basically, we love the countryside and living in the NTs. Please enjoy your concrete ants nests and have a nice day :-)
    Great photos! And nice to see you back here bryant. I guess one of your favourite (online) spot is most certainly geoexpat!

I hope you weren't kicked out of the weather underground hk forum. Those w. underground guys can be rather weird/too serious for their own good, hehehe, but nevertheless quite informative, typhoon-wise.
    bryant.english likes this.

Favourite: On the ferry whether into HK Island or elsewhere, on our rooftop terrace overlooking the beach, Fringe Club, Peak Lugard Rd.

Least Favourite: IKEA on a weekend, Soho

bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fraxbo:
    I didn't quite have protection rackets in mind, since I don't involve myself with triads all that often. Just the relative ease of setting up shop and low overheads, the ability to deal in black or grey market goods, the enormous amount of competition, and the willingness to accommodate the customer's needs. All the best aspects of the market.
    Don't protection rackets prevent fair competition and inhibit/control new entrants to the market?

Quote Originally Posted by fraxbo:
    The area around Kat Hing Wai I was thinking about is near the house tree. I forget the name of the village with the country club and the ancestral halls. From the edges of that village looking in every direction you get a sense of space on land not present elsewhere in HK. There are always either mountains or buildings interrupting one's view in the near background. Not so there. it isn't the actual scenery that is especially admirable there, just the sense of space.
    Yes, you mean the area around Shui Mei. There used to be wild water buffalo on that open land but I haven't seen them since they built all the new bypasses and concreted all the river beds around Kam Tin.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Favourite: On the ferry whether into HK Island or elsewhere
    But But But .... all the new ferries are horrible

In years gone by we had the slow ferries with the big balconies at the back where you could sit out, enjoy the sun and view with a cold beer or other suitable drink. These ferries are now all gone and we are left with the newfangled kind that jars your bones, hurts your butt and generally gives you a washing-machine stomach

How could anyone enjoy that?

You still have those ferries, I took one to Cheung Chau a few weeks back and enjoyed the sun deck.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    But But But .... all the new ferries are horrible

In years gone by we had the slow ferries with the big balconies at the back where you could sit out, enjoy the sun and view with a cold beer or other suitable drink. These ferries are now all gone and we are left with the newfangled kind that jars your bones, hurts your butt and generally gives you a washing-machine stomach

How could anyone enjoy that?
    Still have the old ferries - Mui Wo, Peng Chau, Cheung Chau, Mui Wo to DB...

If anything when it comes to new ferries and washing machine stomach, I have to add the Macau ferry to the list of least faves.

I always try to go for slow ferries but usually end up with ones that look like this:
    xin jie | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Those ones dont really have a sundeck like but have butts that look like this:
    http://sparklette.net/archives/295/ferry.jpg

What routes have the old style big open deck in the back?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I always try to go for slow ferries but usually end up with ones that look like this:
    xin jie | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Those ones dont really have a sundeck like but have butts that look like this:
    http://sparklette.net/archives/295/ferry.jpg

What routes have the old style big open deck in the back?
    Uh..as far as I have experienced, only the one type you are referring to is the Mui Wo to DB ferry.

I like the old ferries as you can stretch out across the seats for a snooze, provided the it's not packed with ppl.

Not to mention all the kaido services around the back blocks, although they're hardly convenient to Happy Valley for a weekend outing for HC & family
    One of the privileges of living in Tuen Mun is being able to get to & from South Lantau sitting on the open top deck. The big decision is should I get off at Sha Lo Wan and walk around to Tai O, or vice versa? (in autumn & winter, that is. In summer just staying on 'til Tai O and going for lunch is a no-brainer)

bookblogger likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast