Places to go in five days

Closed Thread

Smile Places to go in five days

Hi Everyone,

We are coming over on the 30th Jan to check out suburbs and units for when we arrive in April.

We have five nights and was wondering what you would recommend would be the best restaurants to go to for those nights. All price ranges welcome - thinking at least one fancy restaurant to celebrate being in HK. And all cuisines welcome.

We are staying in Causeway Bay.

I'm hoping during the day I will be busy inspecting properties and obtaining a better idea of locations and distances.

Also, any ideas on how long it takes to for removalists to arrive in HK by sea from Sydney Australia?

Thanks

lan kwai fong in central
    many bars there

For something a bit special.

G'day Bayrunner75,
    If you really want to experience something quite amazing, you won't experience much better than having lunch at The China Club, a private members only venue, it is possible to eat there as a guest. Located in the old historic Bank of China building, it really is like going back in time, to an era of charming decadence, gracing some of China's best oil paintings on its walls.
    Dress code is strictly club attire though,as one would expect.

The China Club
    (1)
    13/F Bank of China Building
    Bank Street
    Central
    Tel (852) 2521 8888

If you want more of a modernist approach to Hong Kong fine dining, Felix located on the top floor of the Peninsula Hotel is certainly a worthy restaurant.
    Hong Kong Dining: Felix Restaurant, The Peninsula Hotel Hong Kong

Also located at the Peninsula Hotel are:

The Verandah for some colonial afternoon tea and cucumber sandwiches, a very nice afternoon experience, really capturing the past essence ( James Clavell Noble House version ) of Hong Kong.
    The Verandah Restaurant: Peninsula Hong Kong

If you want amazing Cantonese cuisine, and possibly one of the best selections of Chinese tea's , enjoying China Club style 1920's fully restored to its former glory historic interior, Spring Moon is a must see, if you don't get the opportunity to try The China Club, Spring Moon is a good substitute. Hong Kong Restaurant: Spring Moon at Peninsula Hong Kong

Bayrunner75, being from Sydney, I highly doubt Lan Kwai Fong is going to float your boat, ( pun intended) compared to the level of high standard bars and restaurants in inner Sydney, you're already accustomed to.

The restaurants I recommended above, certainly are of an unwavering international high standard, none will disappoint.

I've also heard that Jimmy's Kitchen is very good, but to date, have not tried it, so cant pass any comment on that one, but its well known for having excellent local fair. Untitled Document
    Last edited by Skyhook; 13-02-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Second Jimmy's Kitchen although I have only tried the one in TST. Wife loves it and a great mix of local and western dishes.

Jimmys is, well, ... historic.

Same staff has been waiting on the tables for the last 30 years or more. It shows.

Good to try once.. just to say you've been there and done that.

Not sure if I would want to go there regularly.

I agree with Skyrunner on the quality of restaurants in LKF / Soho. Overpriced and really don't think they approach international standards.

One exception might be Azure, on the 28th floor of Hotel LKF (in Lan Kwai Fong - across from the Centrium). Spectactular views and very decent food. Not that overpriced by far.

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the responses. Alas, I had been and come back before I got them. But they are there for when we return in April so will give them a go.

Skyhook - you are right. We live in the inner west of Sydney so are spoilt for choice both locally and in the City itself. One thing we didn't like about dining out in Hong Kong - no BYO!! Arrrggghhhh!!!!! Most of the time we seemed to pay more for the wine/beer then the food itself. Ah well, no where is perfect!

Had a great trip. Real eye opener in terms of units/apartments! We did find some of the sizes of bedrooms etc to be on the very small side. Will have to make my husband lie down on the floor to see if he would fit when sleeping - he is over 6 ft, before signing on the dotted line!