IT Industry in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

IT Industry in Hong Kong

Hi Guys,

My Wife and i are considering a move to hong kong towards the end of next year, she is a hong kong perm resident & i am a british citizen.
    I am a little concerned about being able to find a job when i arrive (if my dependants visa appliaction is successful)
    I currenly work as a linux engineer and have about 4 years of industry experience. I have been told that it can be quite hard to find work in hong kong if you don't have a degree (i don't). Is this true? I do have quite a few IT certifications, including:

CCNA
    CCNP
    CCDA
    RHCT
    RHCE
    MCSA

Do you think it will still be possible for me to find a job in HK? or would my cv be thrown away the moment the person looking at it notices i don't have a degree.

I realize that no one knows for sure if i can find a job in HK, i was just wondering if anyone in a similar position has been able to find a job.

Any help/suggestions will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Chris

Plenty of locals with those quals, go for management or Shanghai or try your luck and see if you can get in with someone...

In my eyes, the problem is not the degree but the lack of experience and programming knowledge. Not many heavy duty linux users here that would go out of their way to hire linux admins from overseas / without cantonese skills (as ringah said, plenty of qualified locals).

If you can write thousands of lines of PHP code in your sleep, drop us a resume on [email protected]

http://elig.linux.org.hk/modules/news/

That is the Hong Kong embedded Linux group, but they also have a LINUX group and occasionally post job ads.

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. To be honest this was the kind of feedback i was expecting.
    I may have to explore other avenues, my wife has her heart set on moving back to hong kong (all her firends and family are there).

Cheers,
    Chris