v sign in photos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

v sign in photos

can anyone tell me what it is with the peace sign in photos. I see what would be great photos spoiled by someone grinning wildly and doing the v sign... very confused. I understood it as a sign used by Churchill to mean Victory and Lennon to mean peace... not sure why kids do it in LFK and just about anywhere else someone has a camera... Or am i just being old ???

I asked my daughter's teacher the same thing a while back. She said it was exactly that - means 'victory'. No big mystery, but yes, exceedingly irritating.

drives me nuts too! i think that they want to look like they are doing something in the photo...but...
    can you imagine what their photo albums must look like???

here i am looking like an idiot at the Great Wall.
    Oh, and here's me at the pyramids looking like i'm 2 years old.
    this one is my favourite! I'm looking like a moron at the eiffel tower!

Last edited by carang; 17-02-2008 at 11:22 PM.

i always did it as the rabbit ear behind some cute gers head! hehee

Apparently it is a Japanese custom. The source has been traced back to the winter Olympics in Sapporo. An American skater fell on the ice and made this sign (or something like that) and ever since people have been using it in photographs.

Serious?!

Maybe reflects the level of conformity prevalent in these two cultures?

Good thing someone else brought up just how annoying it is when most everyone here automatically does the v in front of cameras.

It doesn't matter if the bunch of "kids" are 10 or 20 or 30 (!), as soon as the shot's aimed their way, everyone's striking that obligatory v gesture + girly grin, like reliving their childhood in a snap ...as if it were really oh so CUTE!? And it's meant to be sweet-cute, a no-brainer like saying "cheeesse"... And hey, it can be especially with a beery jolly crowd, but surely NOT for EVERY pic?

Wink

carang- that is what i was thinkig when witnessing this recently. I had always dismissed it as stupidly following others but you are right - what must the iphoto albums look like !! It id quite rediculous when you see anyone over 20 doing the cutsie leg bent aren't i lovely with the v sign.....

I was only reminded of how annoying this was when downloading photos recently from a friends party and deleted all the ones where the girls looked like they were auditioning for disney...

next time i am out in town and get asked for a photo- which happens surprisingly often cos of the blond curls - (!!???!!) I might have to adopt the same pose and remove the index finger at the last moment

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Scott
    Apparently it is a Japanese custom. The source has been traced back to the winter Olympics in Sapporo. An American skater fell on the ice and made this sign (or something like that) and ever since people have been using it in photographs.
    Actually, this is exactly how I understand the root of such a cultural expression then the symbol was quickly p/u by celebrities since then it has been 'spreading like wild fire'

what I find amusing about this is when my mates and I have on occasion done the same thing in a pic, VERY tongue in cheek, and we get laughed at by locals... where's the logic in THAT?

Hong Kong was once a British holding, and early students saw Churchill doing the v for victory. You know the old saying, monkey see, monkey do? Just copying what a great man did. That's HK, copy is better than create. But I think it is wonderful the young people use the V sign in photos, since it also shows friendliness and togetherness, and that is why I love Hong Kong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast