Shipping possessions to HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

the washer/dryer combos machines tend to shrink clothing. if you can't control the temp of the drier, forget it. buy a size larger and then use your machine.

shipping cost?

Hello,

I'm moving from New York (USA) to Hong Kong (Asia) in July timeframe.

it will be just one person, currently living in an studio apartment in New York,
    not much furniture.

Anybody have some slightest idea on a very ball park figure, approximately how much would it cost? mostly just a couch, a TV and entertainment system, not sure if I should move my bed, two large desks and 5 boxese of books. thanks a lot

no idea....sell the books you don't really need, you can always pick up newer versions for cheap online if and when you do need them. amazon.com n e-bay both have tons of cheap books. i wouldn't take the couch or TV either....its a pain dealing with voltage conversion. I feel this way, at least. your opinion may well differ....to state the obvious....sell ur stuff on craigslist.com and buy new shit in hk (: then ship what u can...

Merican

jz2107: It would probably cost more to ship your stuff than they are worth. Don't bring the TV/entertainment system since the voltage is different. You can buy an inexpensive couch, desk, and bed at IKEA here or pick up secondhand stuff and then sell it when you leave.

To Berryplucker: The washer/dryer combos here are awful. It took me one and a half hours to dry a towel! In the states, we have large washing machines and dryers that have many different settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Merican:
    jz2107: It would probably cost more to ship your stuff than they are worth. Don't bring the TV/entertainment system since the voltage is different. You can buy an inexpensive couch, desk, and bed at IKEA here or pick up secondhand stuff and then sell it when you leave.

To Berryplucker: The washer/dryer combos here are awful. It took me one and a half hours to dry a towel! In the states, we have large washing machines and dryers that have many different settings.
    Good advice, Merican. I second your stance on HK washing machines/dryers...we have a Zanussi and I feel like it doesn't really get my clothes clean; when I sweat in em, they give off this foul odor they never had when I washed 'em n then threw 'em in the dryer in my basement in NY....