do most expats share or rent a flat on one's own?

Closed Thread

Question do most expats share or rent a flat on one's own?

I am due to arrive the day after Christmas and need to find a flat within 2 weeks.

Wonder if it is easy to find a place during the festival time? Are estate agencies the best place to go?

Are flatsharing common amongst expats? Any trouble there at all?

If renting on my own, how long usually a rental agreement will be and if I want to leave ie after 6 months, will I have to pay for the rest of months, if the agreement is for 12 months?

Do tenants usually get full deposit back when coming out of a rental agreement?

Thanks

No problem with the time - Xmas is not a big holiday here (CNY is much bigger). But finding a place within two weeks may be tricky, depending on how fussy you are.

http://www.gohome.com.hk for rental listings if you want to get a place by yourself.

Flatsharing is quite common amongst younger expats. Various listings magazines and a website I'm not allowed to mention here have ads. I guess the chance of it working is much the same as flatsharing anywhere.

Normal rental agreement is for 2 years but with the tenant able to exit with 2 months notice which can be given after 12 months (so minimum commitment is 14 months). Deposit is normally 2 months. All of this is negotiable - but shorter tem leases tend to be expensive. Agency fee (if you use one) is normally half a month from each of tenant and landlord, but also negotiable.

Renting a serviced apartment is also possible.

Whether you get the deposit back depends on what condition you leave the place in! In general, if you get it cleaned when you leave you can get it back with not much hassle.

Talking

thanks there.

just one more question: are agencies usually very efficient and helpful?

as I dont have a car and certainly not familiar with HK, do you think agents will come to pick viewers up and take to the flats usually?

Thanks a lot for all the responses I get from this website regarding other questions i had too. i am so relieved i found this site before I arrive so gives me some insight of living in hk.

>> do you think agents will come to pick viewers up and take to the flats usually?

If you're renting in the $40+K range, yes they'll come pick you up. Don't expect agents to chauffeur you around. You'll find that taxis are pretty cheap in HK

HK is not such a big city. U may take Mass transit railway (MTR) or bus taxi, etc. In fact, which district u prefer?

Cool

hi,

i am looking for a flatshare at Central/Midlevel, 4-5K, I want to get it sorted during the holidays when i have more time...
    i am 27yr, Chinese, female.
    female preferred
    my mobile is 96810456. : )

Merry Christmas!

I will be working in central so any good area around there is good.

Leanne, your budget is good for me too.

I will get in touch with you when I arrive.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne:
    i am looking for a flatshare at Central/Midlevel, 4-5K
    Again???!!!

Wink

hi, BP,

you stole my name!!! ; )

well... yes.. i have to say that no matter what, a flatshare in central/midlevel makes more sense for singles... i want to move there.. close to all my friends as well ...

after new year will be busy time.. i want to get it sorted soon before CNY!