Like Tree211Likes

Little things we like about Hong Kong

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    My parents have a sweet deal with their postman .. they leave their OUTGOING mail on the front mat, and he picks it up when he delivers the normal mail in the morning and takes it to the post office for them. How many HK posties will do that for you?
    This just seems logical to me, at least for small items - why isn't this standard everywhere?
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I think you've made your point more than once....you hated your time living in the UK....but it seems to be taking you forever to get over it. Perhaps you need to get together with Skyhook and Watercooler and form a little Brit bashing club so you can all get it out of your systems together.

I'm starting to think you must be quite a few sandwiches short of a picnic if you struggled to handle a simple process like getting your mail redirected. Or as you say, you're American. It's a simple form (in person or online) or you can even do it by phone if you prefer. As for needing proof of address, well, er yes....damn picky Brits wanting to make sure you actually live at the address you want mail to be redirected from. How very dare they. (Actually, HK Post has the same requirement for proof of address but I guess that spoils the Brit bashing fun). Or asking for photo ID when you collect a parcel....outrageous behaviour! What is the world coming to?

As for the whining about parcels and doorbells, why didn't you just get the doorbell fixed? (...I assume there's a Brit bashing excuse for this too).

I find there to be very little difference between HK Post and the Royal Mail. Both have good bits and bad bits, and a lot of it seems to be down to individual staff.

Where I did notice a difference was with DHL. HK DHL delivery guys have been pretty amazing (in the majority of cases) whereas UK DHL are usually pretty gruesome unless you're paying the higher business rate.
    Hey! I don't bash Brits across the board. I like certain stuff about the UK a lot! Like their luxury cars (well, those still made in UK, even if no longer owned by them), ship and boats as well as Monty Python sketches about spam:

Besides, to be fair, if someone (including myself) whine about HK, then it should be alright to whine about another country too, no? Like the UK, US, Australia, and yes, you can whine about Canada too.
    WMDS, AmericaninKT and Elegiaque like this.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any offense. It was just my experience. I was in a major transition/move from one country to another, and I couldn't set up mail redirect in the UK because of the rules and there was nothing anyone could or would do to help. It sucked. (Same for missed package deliveries...) I imagine if you live there, especially more permanently, the system, and systems in general, work fine. I was simply amazed with my recent package pick-up experience in HK, because there was no red tape. No requirement to have the "missed delivery" note (which we didn't yet have), and everything was just so straight forward!

And, yes, it's a bit odd with package deliveries in Hong Kong. The building security guard in our building doesn't accept packages for us when we're out. What on earth are they sitting there all day for if not that? Hence why it's perhaps easiest to get packages delivered to work addresses. :/
    (But then why does it matter so much, when the online shopping world sucks so much in HK?)

In the US, actually, we have these little red flags on our (gigantic) mailboxes, so we can let the mailman know that there is some outgoing mail in the box to be collected. (Not that I ever used that system...)

WMDS likes this.

Which cars are still made in the UK?

Minis

Sent from my HM 1SW using GeoClicks mobile app

Tall and Short

I have been reading a biography of Mick Jagger , in which there are a few mentions of his being short. On one occasion in the 60s, when he met a female fan, he himself exclaimed, "Gosh, how small I am." Recently, there was the contrast with the late L'Wren Scott.

I have now looked it up on the Web and find to my surprise that he is 5ft 10in tall, which is not short for a British man and surely well above the average for one born in the 1940s.

Here is another little thing to like about HK:
    you're not short if you're 5ft 5in.

Minor totally unimportant correction: In the UK if your parcel could not be delivered they drop a card through the door giving you the choice of: delivery another day, delivery to a neighbour, collection from a post office of your choice, collection from the office in the middle of an industrial estate.

I like the fact the lifts in the Mandarin Oriental don't have door close buttons.

Always make me chuckle to see panicked people rushing from one side to the other trying to save a few seconds by shutting the door in someones face.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I like the fact the lifts in the Mandarin Oriental don't have door close buttons.

Always make me chuckle to see panicked people rushing from one side to the other trying to save a few seconds by shutting the door in someones face.
    Awesome. I don't know why I did it but a few days ago I got in a lift last and I pressed my floor and kept my hand hovering near the panel (to stop anyone from hitting the close button) until the doors closed by themselves after 3 seconds. The woman next to me was desperately clenching and unclenching her hands. After we'd started moving she actually put out her hand and poked the wall of the lift in front of her! Insanity!!
    AmericaninKT and R.O. like this.

lifts

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:

I am amused by the local people who are obsessed with hitting the "close" button but it actually works in my office building.

I'm used to the U.S. where those buttons don't work -- a friend who works at OTIS once told me that buildings intentionally don't wire the "close" buttons to work -- but as much as I laugh at people in my office building reaching for the "close" button, at least here it makes a big difference.
    Dankleness likes this.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast