Like Tree211Likes

Little things we like about Hong Kong

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Obviously Hong Kong had it's Golden Car making period in 2008
    Attachment 52809
    That's a great idea actually. The property tycoons should start selling small little shitty cars to go along with their small little shitty shoe boxes

(or do they already own Crown Motors and all the other car importers?)
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Rain in HK is great, because it generally cools things down to bearable temperatures. The most you usually need when hiking in the rain is a cap to keep the water off your face.
    Until it stops raining, and then all the moisture evaporates and it becomes so muggy.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

Even though envelopes are sometimes typed and sometimes written, and sometimes in English and sometimes in Chinese, the Post Office delivers letters reliably without troubling with post codes.

I wonder how reliable they are. I get at least one letter a week addressed to my neighbour but put in my box. I just pop it in the correct one but I wonder how many of my letters suffer the same fate.

Still looking on the bright side. Even though there is no standard way of writing -1- flat number, -2- floor number, and -3- (if applicable) block number, the postmen deliver almost every letter to the right box.

Those three things are commonly written in the order 3-2-1, 3-1-2, 1-2-3, and
    2-1-3. I once lived in a building that used the illogical 1-3-2. The last remaining combination is probably used by someone somewhere.

Count yourself lucky that you have a postbox and probably a securoty desk. My old walk up building doesn't have a security desk, so can't take in any parcels. Postbox has no lock, and letters get dumped everywhere.

I imagine that people stop and gaze at the entrance to your building; at the well-trodden stairs rising to a gloomy landing; at the bright new ad on the landing wall, presumably for some kind of business upstairs; at the damp-stained walls almost covered with electricity meters and a maze of wires; at the delicately made, but now rickety, old post-boxes; and think, 'Old Hong Kong had so much character.'

bookblogger likes this.

My office is in an old walk-up building, and it's not a problem that the postboxes have no locks, because there are only six of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    My office is in an old walk-up building, and it's not a problem that the postboxes have no locks, because there are only six of them.
    No locks?!? Good thing it's in HK. Had it been in NYC, you wouldn't see your mail/packages.

After a little more investigation, and like booklogger the building only has 6 mailboxes, the post gets screwed mainly because of the building number. We have an 'A' added onto our building number, so it's xxA. Not a problem normally, but the building doesn't have a sign saying this. Adjacent buildings aren't clearly marked either. I'm not too sure if this is a HK or an old building in HK screw up thing.

challene likes this.

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast