Like Tree211Likes

Little things we like about Hong Kong

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

MTR...one of the cleanest and most efficient subways I know. Not to mention the fun of watching...amusing commuter habits on it.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    This confuses me. I never saw one in the UK, and according to a quick google search, they tried in the 90's but left in 1997. Talk of a possible re-entry but nothing confirmed.

so what are these mysterious 7/11's you speak of?
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

There were 7/11s well after 1997 (but they did eventually move out). I had 2 within 100m from my flat. One was taken over by Budgens and still opens 24/7. The other was taken over by Londis and I think it may close at some point overnight (but I always go to the Budgens one which is slightly closer so I'm not sure).

As The Brit says, plenty of little convenience shops in the UK. Obviously how many depends on where you live and how populated/built up it is. Usual logic.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

There were 7/11s well after 1997 (but they did eventually move out). I had 2 within 100m from my flat. One was taken over by Budgens and still opens 24/7. The other was taken over by Londis and I think it may close at some point overnight (but I always go to the Budgens one which is slightly closer so I'm not sure).

As The Brit says, plenty of little convenience shops in the UK. Obviously how many depends on where you live and how populated/built up it is. Usual logic.

agreed, almost too many chain convenience stores with Tesco and the like plonking their metro stores everywhere.

but I was specifically interesting in the 7/11 brand, which folks seem to get very attached to, especially some disgusting concotion called a slurpie.

But in the UK, and especially in the US, you might not feel safe going to them at 4:00 am, sadly.

You might not, but you don't seem to have a very objective view on the UK.

bibbju likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    You might not, but you don't seem to have a very objective view on the UK.
    To be honest, I would think twice about walking on my own at 4am in the UK. I might drive, but not walk.

To be honest, I would think twice about walking on my own at 4am in the UK. I might drive, but not walk.
    What is it with you guys? Obviously the most important thing is that you feel comfortable (if you look scared, the chances of you becoming a crime victim become considerably higher) but the UK is hardly gangland. These posts give a totally misleading view. Maybe you've spent too long in HK waiting at traffic crossing for the green man telling you it's safe to cross the empty road?

(Sorry if this sounds harsh, I don't mean it to sound that way but your "experience" conflicts with that of pretty much everyone I know living in the UK)

scrambler and Cho-man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    What is it with you guys? Obviously the most important thing is that you feel comfortable (if you look scared, the chances of you becoming a crime victim become considerably higher) but the UK is hardly gangland. These posts give a totally misleading view. Maybe you've spent too long in HK waiting at traffic crossing for the green man telling you it's safe to cross the empty road?

(Sorry if this sounds harsh, I don't mean it to sound that way but your "experience" conflicts with that of pretty much everyone I know living in the UK)

Yes, it sounds harsh, speaking as a person that was sexually assaulted walking in the dark through a city after getting off the tram at the wrong stop at 10pm.

Having walked through some places in daylight in the UK and been harassed, there is no way I would walk through them at night.

You statement 'pretty much everyone i know' seems to suggest that the UK is a safe haven and nothing bad will happen to a person walking alone at night, This is to disregard all the victims of attacks that have happened.

Anyway, back to usual programming, doesn't really belong in a discussion on things we like in Hong Kong, except that it does feel ok here to walk alone at night.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

I do distinct remember seeing a 7-11 in London near Chinatown. It was not longer after my first visit of Hong Kong, and was really disappointed in the selection they sold compared to its counterparts in HK.

Yes, it sounds harsh, speaking as a person that was sexually assaulted walking in the dark through a city after getting off the tram at the wrong stop at 10pm.

Having walked through some places in daylight in the UK and been harassed, there is no way I would walk through them at night.

You statement 'pretty much everyone i know' seems to suggest that the UK is a safe haven and nothing bad will happen to a person walking alone at night, This is to disregard all the victims of attacks that have happened.

Anyway, back to usual programming, doesn't really belong in a discussion on things we like in Hong Kong, except that it does feel ok here to walk alone at night.
    It seems that you are incapable of having a rational discussion on this topic. But if you are going to live your life in fear, HK is probably the best place for you. Although using your logic, it might be best to stay indoors with all the doors and windows locked until you're sure even HK is 100% crime free.

Cho-man likes this.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast