Like Tree211Likes

Little things we like about Hong Kong

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    It seems that you are incapable of having a rational discussion on this topic. But if you are going to live your life in fear, HK is probably the best place for you. Although using your logic, it might be best to stay indoors with all the doors and windows locked until you're sure even HK is 100% crime free.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    Wow, really? From saying I wouldn't walk alone at at 4am in the UK, you get to I am now irrational and living my life in fear? Nice one Bibbju.
    gunsnroses likes this.

Well I used to live in a village in the UK....so there is no convenience store there. Now down my apartment there is 2 in like 300m distance.

And I feel more safe in HK then in UK

It really depends on the area with regards to safety in the UK. I felt very nervous walking home alone in Lewisham, but in plenty of other areas I would feel safer. One's heightened sense of awareness about how "safe" one is is kind of a strange thing. I tend to feel the most uncomfortable in the US (more sensationalized media, drugs and guns). I've been pretty happy to move away from that and feel completely free of the fear I lived with in the states . But regardless of how you feel, bad things can happen and do happen anywhere. Maybe you're less likely to get robbed or raped here in HK, but it might be more likely that you'll get hit by a bus. Life is just life...

A little thing I've grown to appreciate more in HK: tea time being taken so seriously!!! (With some good offers!)

One more thing: Learning just a bit of Cantonese and getting extra flowers from the florist.

Last edited by Elegiaque; 03-11-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Not being assimilated by the Mainland (yet). Prompted by a recent visit over to Shenzhen and being reminded of why I don't go visit more often.

And public transport. Again.

And readily accessible history stuff (visited the Coastal Defense Museum, and the old train museum up in Tai Po, and a Japanese WWII tunnel recently).

chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Not sure I really understand this one. Have you never lived near 7/11 before? In the UK they're open at 4am, just like HK.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    maybe he meant safety-wise. at 4am, it's relatively safer out on the streets of HK than UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    It really depends on the area with regards to safety in the UK. I felt very nervous walking home alone in Lewisham, but in plenty of other areas I would feel safer. One's heightened sense of awareness about how "safe" one is is kind of a strange thing. I tend to feel the most uncomfortable in the US (more sensationalized media, drugs and guns). I've been pretty happy to move away from that and feel completely free of the fear I lived with in the states...
    The main difference is I don't really know of any bad areas in HK vs plenty in US. Heck, even in NYC, there are many known hoods that I would never ever go at night, let alone late night - e.g. Bedford-Stuyvesant, East NY, South Bronx, Far Rockaway. Scary places.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Not being assimilated by the Mainland (yet). Prompted by a recent visit over to Shenzhen and being reminded of why I don't go visit more often.

And public transport. Again.

And readily accessible history stuff (visited the Coastal Defense Museum, and the old train museum up in Tai Po, and a Japanese WWII tunnel recently).
    Public transport. Definitely on my list. I remember when I was in Europe I'd barely take public transportation, however everytime I do (like 3 times a year) it gets delayed.

Bars that stay open until 9 a.m. Oops, wrong thread.

R.O. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TimUK:
    Public transport. Definitely on my list. I remember when I was in Europe I'd barely take public transportation, however everytime I do (like 3 times a year) it gets delayed.
    That's not a little thing... I think it qualifies as a MAJOR thing, lol. That and the short, mild winters are whats holding me back from leaving.

Not needed as much as before, but a good thing:

- the telephones provided for free local calls in the airport arrival hall.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast