Like Tree211Likes

Little things we like about Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

The tram, cheap and excellent family run Chinese restaurants and some of the best Chinese tea money can buy.

Tram & ferry are my favorite too
    Beaches & junk trips in summer
    Daily living can be cheap & still charming - how about local milk tea + freshed baked custard tart for arvo tea! Prices are getting higher tho

This might not be a little thing, but definitely underappreciated: the affordability. The fact that while I make less than I did as a grad student in New York, Helsinki, or Munich, and have quadrupled the size of my family, my quality of life has improved enormously.

wtbhotia and chingleutsch like this.

The fact I live on a mountain surrounded by trees with an industrial area less than 5 minutes walk. The random fresh air and green space in the mix with pollution.

Enjoy that I can be driven to insanity with the locals then a random stranger will make me laugh and all is forgiven.

Given its size and land prices... the ease with which we can play sport or keep fit:

Well equipped gyms open til midnight
    Floodlit government football pitches (some free to book)
    Tennis courts etc bookable online
    Athletics tracks free to use
    Some good cycling tracks
    Loads of hikes or trail runs

Etc. Etc. Etc.

also, sports competitors are usually civilized and polite.

All this lovely money.

dear giant likes this.

Octopus card is a big one for me.

Also the locals, even though I don't speak canto I can use mandarin and the locals appreciate it.

Leave time (sick, holiday, vacation etc). As an American, I certainly appreciate all the leave time I get here.

I almost feel guilty about all the time I get...

I'm dreading going back to states with the prospect of 1 or 2 weeks vacation a year.

pandancake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I like the convenience of being able to use it pay for things in shops rather than being purely for travel (like London's Oyster card - which they tried rolling out to shops but it failed).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Took me awhile to re-adjust back to using NYC's Metrocard, after using the Octopus card for 2 weeks in HK. Compare to the Octopus card, the Metrocard seems downright primitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I love the people in my village ( Sai Kung ) I was visiting a mate who's business ( I pop in with a fresh coffee and cakes on occasion) is located next to a local owned mechanical work shop. I had an issue with the alternator on my benz recently which I have worked out is very likely worn brushes. No big deal normally but I don't have female torque sockets, which the mongrel alternator requires the removal of two male torque bolts! Anyway I thought I would pop over to the mum and pop garage next door to my friends shop and ask them about getting alternator (a set of carbon brushes/regulator ) bits from them, I have seen them around many times before and said hi etc, or they allowed me to park in their drive way while I popped in for a coffee, but these people offered me to use their workshop for free !

I was like, really? The old man said it was no problem, he has the tools, and was happy to assist me, so now I have a second coffee stop lol There are very nice " genuine " people out here, it's not all about shafting everybody for a dollar...
    Our village in south Lantau is the same. My husband offered one of our neighbours some money for taking time of his day off to put up our mail box which he refused, full stop. Even a six pack of beer! There seems to be a lot of arty and practical people in our village who can offer help whenever just for the sake of neighborhood friendship. Apart from when I lived in Berlin, I have never experienced this kind of community living in any other country.

Aside, I love that fact that coming home from work daily, it feels as though I'm going on holiday. Not that I mind the rat race in central. Hong Kong is ever regentrifying and rediscovering the new is as exciting as it gets.
    Skyhook likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast