Like Tree211Likes

Little things we like about Hong Kong

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I love the people in my village ( Sai Kung ) I was visiting a mate who's business ( I pop in with a fresh coffee and cakes on occasion) is located next to a local owned mechanical work shop. I had an issue with the alternator on my benz recently which I have worked out is very likely worn brushes. No big deal normally but I don't have female torque sockets, which the mongrel alternator requires the removal of two male torque bolts! Anyway I thought I would pop over to the mum and pop garage next door to my friends shop and ask them about getting alternator (a set of carbon brushes/regulator ) bits from them, I have seen them around many times before and said hi etc, or they allowed me to park in their drive way while I popped in for a coffee, but these people offered me to use their workshop for free !

I was like, really? The old man said it was no problem, he has the tools, and was happy to assist me, so now I have a second coffee stop lol There are very nice " genuine " people out here, it's not all about shafting everybody for a dollar...
    Our village in south Lantau is the same. My husband offered one of our neighbours some money for taking time of his day off to put up our mail box which he refused, full stop. Even a six pack of beer! There seems to be a lot of arty and practical people in our village who can offer help whenever just for the sake of neighborhood friendship. Apart from when I lived in Berlin, I have never experienced this kind of community living in any other country.

Aside, I love that fact that coming home from work daily, it feels as though I'm going on holiday. Not that I mind the rat race in central. Hong Kong is ever regentrifying and rediscovering the new is as exciting as it gets.
    Skyhook likes this.

I love the fact you can go from one of the busiest metropolises on Earth to peaceful countryside in 30 mins, for very little money.

That and the rugby 7s.

Btw, what is 10cha?

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:

Btw, what is 10cha?
    You cannot post a reply that is less than 10 characters long. So if you just want to say, say
    "Agreed!" you can't.

So you type "agreed! 10char) to make it longer.

I like being able to walk out and buy a toilet plunger at 9:30 PM.

I love the wet markets and all the myriad products they offer including low cost tailors for alterations, key cutters, bag repairmen and what not. Will really miss all this when I have to leave.

I like being able to look over crowds of people here...I'm at least a head taller than most people in HK

My wife can spot me easily in a crowd...

wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I like being able to look over crowds of people here...I'm at least a head taller than most people in HK

My wife can spot me easily in a crowd...
    You should stop wearing your wife's high heels.

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:
    I like being able to walk out and buy a toilet plunger at 9:30 PM.
    I'm imagining a spare room full of nothing but an assortment of toilet plungers.
    INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatelvis:
    I'm imagining a spare room full of nothing but an assortment of toilet plungers.

I was thinking that a "toilet plunger" was slang for "an act that not all women like to perform"

...and yes, I need to get my mind out of the gutter.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Curry fishballs.

wtbhotia, mid_gen and Watercooler like this.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast