Like Tree211Likes

Little things we like about Hong Kong

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

I like watching the buzzards just circling around, watching.

We used to live in Sheung Wan and the buzzards would all congregate in the sky around dawn having a sort of flying party. There would be over a hundred of them whenever I staggered back from the pub around that time. Was marvelous to see.

bookblogger likes this.

I was reminded of Hong Kong's excellent Public Transportation when I did the most un-L.A. thing possible on Friday . . .

I took the bus from Santa Monica to El Segundo. It's about 12 miles if you drive your own car. It took 2 hours and three transfers. I saw one racially charged confrontation. I saw a crazy guy dart out of the bus and pee in the bushes in full view of everyone on the bus. The dream of being a one-car family died right then and there. Wife and I are each going to need our own.

My kingdom for an Octopus card . . .

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Being able to buy a pint bottle of Honey Dew and then hop on the Lantau ferry from Central - its what I did yesterday afternoon after bunking off from work. I dont like the DB ferry nor any of the other fast ferries. I still enjoy the slow breezy upper decks of the old slow ones. They are disappearing but at least we still have a few around....
    Some of the older DB ferries still have open upper decks (usually the mid morning ones i.e. off peak)). I got one just this morning. Sitting in the sun and drinking my coffee was sheer bliss!

Name:  IMG_2009.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  730.6 KB
    Watercooler and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Some of the older DB ferries still have open upper decks
    Tooo faassst, tooo faaaaassstt..Sloooow Dooown.

These slow ones are the ones I really like:

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Route 7 to the airport is never busy.
    So you know where the airport is .

Speaking of the HK airport, I do like it quite alot (as airports go anyway). Whatever its faults, HK Airport is still far superior than any comparable North American or European Airport in terms of its convenience, amenities and general ease of use.
    kpelszyn likes this.

Some of the older DB ferries still have open upper decks (usually the mid morning ones i.e. off peak)). I got one just this morning. Sitting in the sun and drinking my coffee was sheer bliss!

Name:  IMG_2009.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  730.6 KB
    Agreed, except for the summer months when its too hot to sit outside.

When we lived on Lamma, we would try to time going home at sunset - we'd scurry in the back of the top deck, beer in hand, and be the only ones out there. Everyone else was in the airconditioned freezer inside. Loved it. Actually, that doesn't do it justice. Those times are one of my most treasured memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    So you know where the airport is .

Speaking of the HK airport, I do like it quite alot (as airports go anyway). Whatever its faults, HK Airport is still far superior than any comparable North American or European Airport in terms of its convenience, amenities and general ease of use.
    Yeah they were really in a good position to develop an airport and try and future proof it as much as possible. Something that a lot of the US and European airports cannot do so easily. For example as much as I dislike JFK and La Guardia, no idea where you would put an alternative and link it up to the city

Sent from my Q10 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Agreed, except for the summer months when its too hot to sit outside.
    Eh?? It's not too hot. That's the whole point. The breeze keeps you cool but you still feel the sun...perfect combination. Saying that, most of the ferry was huddled downstairs with the A/C today.

Eh?? It's not too hot. That's the whole point. The breeze keeps you cool but you still feel the sun...perfect combination. Saying that, most of the ferry was huddled downstairs with the A/C today.
    Depends on the particular summer day in question I guess. Sometimes its alright and quite pleasant, but other times even with the sea breeze, it feels too hot for my liking.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 27-05-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast