Like Tree211Likes

Little things we like about Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Being able to buy a pint bottle of Honey Dew and then hop on the Lantau ferry from Central - its what I did yesterday afternoon after bunking off from work. I dont like the DB ferry nor any of the other fast ferries. I still enjoy the slow breezy upper decks of the old slow ones. They are disappearing but at least we still have a few around....
    Some of the older DB ferries still have open upper decks (usually the mid morning ones i.e. off peak)). I got one just this morning. Sitting in the sun and drinking my coffee was sheer bliss!

Name:  IMG_2009.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  730.6 KB
    Watercooler and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Some of the older DB ferries still have open upper decks
    Tooo faassst, tooo faaaaassstt..Sloooow Dooown.

These slow ones are the ones I really like:

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Route 7 to the airport is never busy.
    So you know where the airport is .

Speaking of the HK airport, I do like it quite alot (as airports go anyway). Whatever its faults, HK Airport is still far superior than any comparable North American or European Airport in terms of its convenience, amenities and general ease of use.
    kpelszyn likes this.

Some of the older DB ferries still have open upper decks (usually the mid morning ones i.e. off peak)). I got one just this morning. Sitting in the sun and drinking my coffee was sheer bliss!

Name:  IMG_2009.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  730.6 KB
    Agreed, except for the summer months when its too hot to sit outside.

When we lived on Lamma, we would try to time going home at sunset - we'd scurry in the back of the top deck, beer in hand, and be the only ones out there. Everyone else was in the airconditioned freezer inside. Loved it. Actually, that doesn't do it justice. Those times are one of my most treasured memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    So you know where the airport is .

Speaking of the HK airport, I do like it quite alot (as airports go anyway). Whatever its faults, HK Airport is still far superior than any comparable North American or European Airport in terms of its convenience, amenities and general ease of use.
    Yeah they were really in a good position to develop an airport and try and future proof it as much as possible. Something that a lot of the US and European airports cannot do so easily. For example as much as I dislike JFK and La Guardia, no idea where you would put an alternative and link it up to the city

Sent from my Q10 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Agreed, except for the summer months when its too hot to sit outside.
    Eh?? It's not too hot. That's the whole point. The breeze keeps you cool but you still feel the sun...perfect combination. Saying that, most of the ferry was huddled downstairs with the A/C today.

Eh?? It's not too hot. That's the whole point. The breeze keeps you cool but you still feel the sun...perfect combination. Saying that, most of the ferry was huddled downstairs with the A/C today.
    Depends on the particular summer day in question I guess. Sometimes its alright and quite pleasant, but other times even with the sea breeze, it feels too hot for my liking.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 27-05-2014 at 04:38 PM.

I'm glad the subject moved swiftly to beer on ferries. I think I'll have a beer on the ferry tonight.

I like it that in HK everything is open late. Probably said before I know.

For example, I often go to the gym at 9pm or even 10, leaving an hour or so later. Couldn't do this in England. Also means I can dodge the big crowds.

Like HK_Katherine, I have been politely given a seat on the MTR. In my case several times but, as I wasn't limping with a bad toe, I have mixed feelings about it.

- - - - - -

Good locally-made plain unsweetened yoghurt (from Nestle Dairy Farm).

- - - - - -

Ray Cordeiro's radio programme from 11.30 p.m. to 1.00 a.m. Even if you don't share his taste for Max Bygraves, we are lucky to have his kind of music five days a week.

- - - - - -

Numerous public toilets, generally well equipped and clean. The new ones are airy and well designed, attractive little buildings.

Decent public toilets in the new MTR stations. (The original lines, opened in the 1980s, didn't provide any toilets at all.)

Good - even, excellent - public toilets in shopping centres.

- - - - - -

Less obligation or need to learn the local language than in other foreign places because our language is, after all, an official one. (Perhaps this isn't a little thing.)

Public libraries with large English sections, larger than the proportion of English books borrowed.

- - - - - -

elle wrote:

The screams of the Koel - telling me Spring has arrived.
    The bullfrog choirs during the rainy season - hilarious sounds coming from such a tiny creature.
    On the hill behind my block of flats: crickets (or grasshoppers) stridulate (I think they stridulate) so loud that they muffle the noise of the washing-machine in the next room.

- - - - - -

closedcasket wrote in another thread:

Weather has warmed up lately. My favourite time of year. Not so much cause I like the heat, but I must admit Asian legs really do it for me.
    Prefab Sprout wrote:

Denim shorts.
    Enough said.
    bookblogger likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast