Like Tree211Likes

Little things we like about Hong Kong

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

I'm glad the subject moved swiftly to beer on ferries. I think I'll have a beer on the ferry tonight.

I like it that in HK everything is open late. Probably said before I know.

For example, I often go to the gym at 9pm or even 10, leaving an hour or so later. Couldn't do this in England. Also means I can dodge the big crowds.

Like HK_Katherine, I have been politely given a seat on the MTR. In my case several times but, as I wasn't limping with a bad toe, I have mixed feelings about it.

- - - - - -

Good locally-made plain unsweetened yoghurt (from Nestle Dairy Farm).

- - - - - -

Ray Cordeiro's radio programme from 11.30 p.m. to 1.00 a.m. Even if you don't share his taste for Max Bygraves, we are lucky to have his kind of music five days a week.

- - - - - -

Numerous public toilets, generally well equipped and clean. The new ones are airy and well designed, attractive little buildings.

Decent public toilets in the new MTR stations. (The original lines, opened in the 1980s, didn't provide any toilets at all.)

Good - even, excellent - public toilets in shopping centres.

- - - - - -

Less obligation or need to learn the local language than in other foreign places because our language is, after all, an official one. (Perhaps this isn't a little thing.)

Public libraries with large English sections, larger than the proportion of English books borrowed.

- - - - - -

elle wrote:

The screams of the Koel - telling me Spring has arrived.
    The bullfrog choirs during the rainy season - hilarious sounds coming from such a tiny creature.
    On the hill behind my block of flats: crickets (or grasshoppers) stridulate (I think they stridulate) so loud that they muffle the noise of the washing-machine in the next room.

- - - - - -

closedcasket wrote in another thread:

Weather has warmed up lately. My favourite time of year. Not so much cause I like the heat, but I must admit Asian legs really do it for me.
    Prefab Sprout wrote:

Denim shorts.
    Enough said.
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Depends on the particular summer day in question I guess. Sometimes its alright and quite pleasant, but other times even with the sea breeze, it feels too hot for my liking.
    Are you trying to start an argument on the empty upper deck of a ferry...?
    100LL and bibbju like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I like it that in HK everything is open late.

For example, I often go to the gym at 9pm or even 10, leaving an hour or so later. Couldn't do this in England. Also means I can dodge the big crowds.
    Apart from the damn Post Office in DB which closes at 5pm!!!

Are you going to some country bumpkin style gyms in England JJ? All the gyms I've been a member of closed between 10pm and 11pm. And unlike HK, they opened early in the morning (5.30am-6am).

I remember when I first arrived in HK and was given a tour of Pure Soho on a Sat eve. I commented on how busy the gym was (it was 8pm on a Sat!) and the Salesperson misheard/misunderstood (in the classic HK style) and said "yes it's very quiet". This is quiet??!!! That was enough to put me off HK gyms!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:

Are you going to some country bumpkin style gyms in England JJ?
    He is. Justjoe goes to a gym that's run by his aunt, who is also his sister.
    bibbju likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I'm glad the subject moved swiftly to beer on ferries. I think I'll have a beer on the ferry tonight.

I like it that in HK everything is open late. Probably said before I know.

Hmm. I find things close very early in Hong Kong, most notably the MTR.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Are you trying to start an argument on the empty upper deck of a ferry...?
    So your fetish has moved on from doorknobs to ferry decks. Pat yourself on the back.

I'll say this, riding on a ferry in HK is a hell of a lot better than riding ferries around the British Isles. The North Sea, English Channel and Irish Sea all have terrible weather too often. I once rode from Holyhead to Dublin on a ferry, and let me tell you, I almost vomited thanks to the heavy seas. Hell, its like 3/4 of the year there they have storms over the sea.

At least in HK, unless you get typhoon (or a strong monsoon and squall), the seas around here the city is generally reasonably calm in comparison.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 28-05-2014 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    He is. Justjoe goes to a gym that's run by his aunt, who is also his sister.
    Are you trying to start an argument with Justjoe's aunt?
    bookblogger likes this.

Agree with r.o : can't believe ray Cordeiro is still on . Great music relaxing show .Last time I listened to that was before Internet was widely available . Simple pleasures like rays show in those days .good on him. isn't it some sort of record for long running show

The efficiency and stress free atmosphere of HK airport.

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast