Like Tree5Likes

Bad smell in apartment

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Yes, and it did stop the smell for a while.

At the time, I had no idea of the point of it - I thought it was a local belief that the smell was associated with bacteria or something and I was simply 'flushing' the pipe a bit. I assumed there was no 'u' trap present and didn't realize that the water would dry up and therefore the trap would not be 'trapping'.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTC
    In the kitchen in CS, there's a drain grid on the wall that leads to a U drain. Normally used to drain water from washing the floor. Pour about 3 litres of water with bleach into the drain to fill the U tube. Smell will disappear until the drain dries again (about 5 months).

The drain is in different places for different layouts.

I have such a grid in kitchen and the bathroom - not a smell issue.

This solution makes sense. I will do it from time to time too just as a precaution.

Smart guy, David TC.

Quote Originally Posted by kyliedee
    Hey there! Several questions here: Did you try the bleach and water solution to obliterate the smell? Did it work? Where exactly in the kitchen wall is the U trap? I live in CS flat H.

Answers would be greatly appreciated. I can't stand the smell anymore. Thanks
    There will be a drain in the kitchen and bathroom/s. It is a 75mm metal plate with slots cut in it, at floor level in the wall or possibly the surround of the bath. The plumbing in CS uses U traps, but they will dry out. As suggested, pour water into the drain to re-fill the U trap and the smell should be gone.

dot.zen
    Alarm83 likes this.

I have similar problems with smelly drainage in the shower drain and noisy pipes in the kitchen. I bought a drain cap which I use in the shower drain and it gets rid of any foul smells.. but no solutions for the noise!

Quote Originally Posted by dot.zen
    There will be a drain in the kitchen and bathroom/s. It is a 75mm metal plate with slots cut in it, at floor level in the wall or possibly the surround of the bath. The plumbing in CS uses U traps, but they will dry out. As suggested, pour water into the drain to re-fill the U trap and the smell should be gone.

dot.zen
    Is there a reason for the Saran Wrap on the drain face?

Secondly will vinegar work as well as bleach?

Any enviro issues with dumping bleach in there?

What does work to keep sink drains clean in HK?

the clear tape is to prevent the smell coming in.

vinegar is a mild dis-infectant. Mainlanders were boiling vinegar during the SARS outbreak.

the pipe goes to the main sewage pipe. Bleach would be welcomed.

what works in other countries too I'd imagine, and rergular cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by dot.zen

dot.zen
    I hv lived in several flats in Shatin and this problem appears "Sans Frontier" ! LOL.

Instead of just tape it, I will put a cotton pad (for face) between the tape and drainage as it can stop the moist from loosening my tape. Just change it once every 3mths and smell can't come in.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16

It's tape, not wrap, and it is there because I do not use the bathroom that this drain is in, so I taped it to stop the airflow.
    Vinegar would work just as well as bleach. I just use plain water as the only requirement to stop the smell is to fill the U trap so that air does not flow through it.
    The drain leads to the sewer system, so a bit of bleach is unlikely to cause any adverse effect.
    My sink drains are kept clean through constant use.

dot.zen

That's nothing. Trying living in the Philippines. Almost every place I stayed, hotels or apartments, there was always a weird and annoying smell. I got this strange, pungent, though not sulfur, smell coming out of the drain in my bathroom. I can't just open the windows and doors to air out the place because the smell from the outside isn't much better. Despite the breezy air, outside there's always a smell of pesticide and paint primer and other exotic building materials which is probably worse.

So I'm stuck with this smell in the bathroom. I'll probably go out and buy a rubber cover for the drain to see if that works.

Hey this thread is old, but just in case someone still reading it. I would not recommend covering those drains completely. Few weeks ago something was broken in my toilet tank and the water kept pouring out of it whole night until I noticed that the next morning and called a technician to fix. If my drain was covered the water would finally flow to the other rooms and make complete mess of all furniture and floor. Just be careful.

SamSeborn likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3