Like Tree156Likes

Your most hated spot in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

I have as much disgust for people that look down on others from their pretentious perch than for those trying to make a living from less than honorable means...
    Next time I'm at Chungking Mansions I'll let them know. How much disgust are we talking exactly?
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    80% of the world's population lives on less than $10 day and 50% on less than $1. They are not born with a silver spoon in their mouth, were not all fed properly to allow for proper development physically and mentally, got a free education, mostly free of diseases and a whole lot more.

So easy to shit on people and claim that you would do this and that when you know nothing of other people's experience and situation and probably haven't experienced a 10th of the hardship they have faced...
    And you do know this applies to the touts how exactly?
    Skyhook and INXS like this.

I don't know that it does or doesn't and that's the point... What I do know however is that pretty well everyone on this board was born with a silver spoon in their mouth so making claims of things they would or wouldn't do without having to back it up is pitiful. Interestingly enough the same kind of people who often like to use words like civilized or not when referring to other cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    ...What I do know however is that pretty well everyone on this board was born with a silver spoon in their mouth so making claims of things they would or wouldn't do without having to back it up is pitiful.
    This is very presumptive and somewhat of a rash assumption, don't you think? I for one certainly wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth and I've worked damn hard to make something of myself. I find it hard to imagine that I'm the only person with that kind of background on this forum.
    INXS and Cwbguy like this.

I didn't get a silver spoon in mouth until my first Farley's rusk!

INXS and justjoe86 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Walk down Nathan road as a gweilo and you get every indian tout on the street trying to sell you a copy watch or a suit .. clearly THEY THINK everyone there is a tourist. Given how many white people I see looking lost or holding copies of Lonely Planet, they probably have a point.

Obviously, you could take a statement on the internet as gospel truth or you could just read into it what was meant - that if you have a choice, you avoid TST like the plague. Obviously, if you are stupid enough to live close to it (goodness, who would BE that dumb?) or if you work there and have no choice, obviously you are going to avail of the shops and restaurants and offices. Or, of course, if you are an indian copywatch seller or tailor. But seriously - how many people go to TST out of choice just to hang out for a relaxing afternoon?

Why thank you for putting me in the stupid/dumb bracket as I live in TST and less than a few mins walk the Chungking Mansion.

Seriously, you have not got a clue on what you are talking about. No need to try and make up fake figures to support your case.

It would have taken only a few mins of research to find out where else there is to buy basmati rice, so I'm guessing an inner secret love for the place.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Walk down Nathan road as a gweilo and you get every indian tout on the street trying to sell you a copy watch or a suit .. clearly THEY THINK everyone there is a tourist. Given how many white people I see looking lost or holding copies of Lonely Planet, they probably have a point.

Obviously, you could take a statement on the internet as gospel truth or you could just read into it what was meant - that if you have a choice, you avoid TST like the plague. Obviously, if you are stupid enough to live close to it (goodness, who would BE that dumb?) or if you work there and have no choice, obviously you are going to avail of the shops and restaurants and offices. Or, of course, if you are an indian copywatch seller or tailor. But seriously - how many people go to TST out of choice just to hang out for a relaxing afternoon?

My wife and I went to the Pennisula for tea the other day. We took our kids to many of the museums. We enjoy the buffets at many of the hotels in the area. Its a nice walk down the ave. of the stars/promenade. Excellent restaurants along Ashley and Moody roads... Excellent shopping at Harbour City, Miramar...

I guess there is one good thing about central....it keeps people like you out of TST
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    It's not even easy money. It's just dumb and lazy thinking. I mean, there's gotta be a hundred things you could do that would male you more money and give you more self respect.

Sure, easy for us to say as white skinned, privledged expats. Most Nepalese, Indian, Pakistani (SE Asian) have been in Hong Kong for a long time. Many of them are desendents of ex-gurkas from the British Army or Police. I used to live out near Shek Kong, and many still live there (Shek Kong/Yuen Long). Many also are segregated in the Yau Mei Tei/Jordan area.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Hong Kong for doing too little to help fight the subtle, yet very real racism that occurs in Hong Kong against 'brown skinned' asians. Darker skinned asians have a tough time integrating into society here and the Hong Kong government does nothing to help this. Many of the darker skinned asians have lived in Hong Kong longer than the so called 'locals' who discriminate against them. And by discriminate against them, I mean in regards to school acceptance, landlords refusing to let them rent, hospitals delaying or refusing service and employers not hiring them based on the color of their skin.

You reap what you sow....and until Hong Kong makes an effort to help integrate minority cultures into the city and fight the racism that exists in this city....I will withhold my negative comments about the ethnic minority touts on Nathan Rd.

Those passing judgement don't know what it is like to walk in their shoes....

I have learned one thing from this thread. The residents of TST and those who say they love to go there seem to be the most sensitive Geoexpatters of all. The usual hyenas are working the board and hunting down their one victim for their hatred contribution like it is something important.

Check your Highly Sensitive People Quotient here:

http://www.marieclaire.com/health-fi...rsonality-quiz

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    This is very presumptive and somewhat of a rash assumption, don't you think? I for one certainly wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth and I've worked damn hard to make something of myself. I find it hard to imagine that I'm the only person with that kind of background on this forum.
    If you were born in a western country and your parents made more than 10US/day, you were in the top 20% of the world. Add to that at least average intelligence, no war, diseases or disabilities, freeish schooling, access to medical care and clean water. What percentile would you place yourself under?

I toiled 20 hour days on farms under 40C heat for a few dollars an hour and worked almost full time during my university studies. I have experienced having altogether no more than $20 to my name. Had it harder than many people I knew yet I still consider myself privileged in the larger scheme of thing and feel I was born with a silver spoon. I have worked hard and wan't given everything but I don't take what I was given for granted.

I certainly have no love for scammers and touts but even then, I certainly wouldn't stand on my little soap box shitting on people pretending I know what I would have done under circumstances I know nothing about.
    shenwen likes this.