Like Tree156Likes

Your most hated spot in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    If you were born in a western country and your parents made more than 10US/day, you were in the top 20% of the world. Add to that at least average intelligence, no war, diseases or disabilities, freeish schooling, access to medical care and clean water. What percentile would you place yourself under?

I toiled 20 hour days on farms under 40C heat for a few dollars an hour and worked almost full time during my university studies. I have experienced having altogether no more than $20 to my name. Had it harder than many people I knew yet I still consider myself privileged in the larger scheme of thing and feel I was born with a silver spoon. I have worked hard and wan't given everything but I don't take what I was given for granted.

I certainly have no love for scammers and touts but even then, I certainly wouldn't stand on my little soap box shitting on people pretending I know what I would have done under circumstances I know nothing about.
    Oh Gilles, it doesn't matter what anyone writes on this forum, you always insist you're right. I find it quite entertaining

Re. the silver spoon, I have to assume this is a language issue since being born with a silver spoon in your mouth has slightly different connotations to how you're using it (hence the difference in our views). It's generally used to denote inherited wealth but inherited or not, I think you're one of the few people who consider more than USD 10 per day as wealth. I appreciate your point but it is a little extreme - but that's what we've come to expect from you lol. You are, after all, always right

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    On the topic of Indian shops in Yuen Long, there's a new one I noticed near yuen long mtr. Leave exit A and walk towards the big crossroads. Walk over the bridge onto castle peak rd and it's there on the corner. They sell a lot of Indian ingredients. Unfortunately I can't remember the name.
    If you cannot remember the name of shops, you know where the airport is!
    justjoe86 and elle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    If you cannot remember the name of shops, you know where the airport is!
    what's at the airport again?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I think you're one of the few people who consider more than USD 10 per day as wealth.
    I'd have to disagree with this point. 10usd a day would be considered wealthy by the majority of the world, just not those in the most developed of countries.

I'm not getting involved in the rest of the debate though!

Now... where's the airport? I want to go somewhere where I feel rich!
    Last edited by justjoe86; 23-03-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    That is not correct. If 'moving' just typed her hate or dislike of TST, that would have been fine. But she didn't.

She went on to claim that "TST a place normal HK residents avoid". She was speaking (inaccurately and arrogantly) for all normal Hong Kong residents. That is a completely ludicrous statement that deserved the backlash it got.

If anyone is overly sensitive in this thread, it would be you.
    And I stand by comment - toooooooooooo sensitive - the TST crowd.

The word 'normal' is over the top but we all know many who don't like the crowds of TST, CWB or MK and they might think they are normal and others, not.

A long time poster and good contributor should be cut some slack even if the comments are not what you want to hear or are wrong.

The tone has changed since 2007 when I first found this site to be helpful. In this thread, I didn't have a horse in the race about TST but did think the attacks on Moving were over the top and too typical these days of what is going on here.

I am not suggesting you are part of that - I don't think you are as you engage and discuss.

BTW I did expect DeletedUser at some time to relaunch his/her feeble attempts to discredit me for what I post. The irony is that clown said no one ever read my posts and neither did he as they are so useless, crappy, illogical or whatever but yet DeletedUser knows where I live and what roles I have held in my career as he sources out every detail like that to use in his attacks.

I have dealt personally for many years with the ilk of that type of person and have no problem returning the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Oh Gilles, it doesn't matter what anyone writes on this forum, you always insist you're right. I find it quite entertaining

Re. the silver spoon, I have to assume this is a language issue since being born with a silver spoon in your mouth has slightly different connotations to how you're using it (hence the difference in our views). It's generally used to denote inherited wealth but inherited or not, I think you're one of the few people who consider more than USD 10 per day as wealth. I appreciate your point but it is a little extreme - but that's what we've come to expect from you lol. You are, after all, always right
    It's not a matter of language but perspective... Virtually all westerners were born with inherited wealth...perhaps not individually but collectively. It's certainly never a matter of wrong or right since it's a matter of interpretation and there are no points to be made nor arguments to be won on forums with anonymous posters you couldn't care a penny about.

Some people are happy to call other people's choice dumb or shit on people that they feel are below them in the "civilization department". It should be expected others will have perspective from a different point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:

The word 'normal' is over the top but we all know many who don't like the crowds of TST, CWB or MK and they might think they are normal and others, not.

A long time poster and good contributor should be cut some slack even if the comments are not what you want to hear or are wrong.

The tone has changed since 2007 when I first found this site to be helpful. In this thread, I didn't have a horse in the race about TST but did think the attacks on Moving were over the top and too typical these days of what is going on here.

I am not suggesting you are part of that - I don't think you are as you engage and discuss.

BTW I did expect DeletedUser at some time to relaunch his/her feeble attempts to discredit me for what I post. The irony is that clown said no one ever read my posts and neither did he as they are so useless, crappy, illogical or whatever but yet DeletedUser knows where I live and what roles I have held in my career as he sources out every detail like that to use in his attacks.

I have dealt personally for many years with the ilk of that type of person and have no problem returning the same.

I get your overall point regarding the tone of this board....however moving07 (whom I like and think is a good person) can dish it out pretty good herself. And if you dish it out, you better be able to take it.

But again, this wasn't just a comment that people simply disagreed with....this was saying that "normal hong kongers avoid TST". I think many people, myself included found that extremely egocentric. It seemed especially offensive to those from the subcontinent.

That's what I'm talking about, right there. In what possible way was it offensive to people from 'the sub-continent'? Many people on these boards reveal their own prejudices when attempting to expose them in others.
    *edit* add smiley, ;-) not looking for trouble, just making an observation...

Last edited by INXS; 23-03-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:

Log off

Moving comes on a post asking for people's least favourite spot and takes it off topic by saying no normal HK people ever go to TST (i was there 10 mins ago - she is wrong) and that those who live near TST are stupid and dumb and you think she should be cut some slack.

I don't care if a poster has been her 5 years or five minutes, if they say something that is wrong, they should be called on it.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    That's what I'm talking about, right there. In what possible way was it offensive to people from 'the sub-continent'? Many people on these boards reveal their own prejudices when attempting to expose them in others.
    *edit* add smiley, ;-) not looking for trouble, just making an observation...
    others expose their prejudices when trying to deny them in others

closedcasket likes this.